Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting rear hubs
Indymike

posted on 23/11/06 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting rear hubs

I'm just fitting my hub carrier and drive flange to the driveshaft and notice a gap of about half an inch between the drive flange and the hub carrier and also a gap of about an inch (and a half) between the hub carrier and the upright.
If I tighten the bolts that hold the hub carrier to the upright, I'm sure the CV joints will compress a little, but is that the right way to take up the slack?
Also the gap between the drive flange and hub carrier: can I just tighten the hub nut to bring it all together or did I not put it on right?

Build manual? What build manual?

flak monkey

posted on 23/11/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
As stuart says. The hubs will push the driveshaft back and compress the CV joints.

Have fun doing the hub nut up

P.S. to tell which is the right drive shaft:
Drivers Side one should be a right hand thread (tighten clockwise)
Passenger side one will be left hand thread (tighten anticlockwise)

[Edited on 23/11/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ReMan

posted on 23/11/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
.and one driveshaft is slightly longer that the other too............
Indymike

posted on 23/11/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses, guys. I try to do some homework on the forum archives before I ask silly questions, but wasn' t sure about this one.
I've now verified my shafts are on the correct side. Check. My parts are not from an ABS car, so no need to take off the teeth. Check.
Made sure I know which way the hub nut is supposed to be tightened (hand tightened them first). Check!
So I guess I'll be allright. Time to start tightening! Oh I just know those hub nuts are going to be b****rds!

Build manual? What build manual?

Jonte

posted on 9/1/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
.and one driveshaft is slightly longer that the other too............

which is which then, any idea?

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 9/1/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC, shortest shaft is on nearside of vehicle (LHS if you're looking from the back of the vehicle).

Phil

NS Dev

posted on 9/1/07 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I don't find the hub nuts too bad, because for once overtightening is just not an issue (unless you have some shipbuilding or steelmill tools handy!!! lol )

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Jonte

posted on 9/1/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
IIRC, shortest shaft is on nearside of vehicle (LHS if you're looking from the back of the vehicle).
Phil

thanks
I tried to search and the nearest answer I got, was that bolts should be tightened forward.

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ERP

posted on 7/6/07 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
are the driveshafts from an abs car? have they got teeth around the edge, if so you need to remove those to fit the shaft properly.

if not have you put the driveshafts in the right sides, note one is longer than the other.

Chris

[Edited on 23/11/06 by chris mason]

Stupid question of the day, how do I go about removing the teeth, are they press fit on or do I need to have someone do it in a lathe?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.