Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trump GT6+ as a donor?
merkurman

posted on 28/11/06 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
Trump GT6+ as a donor?

ok so small chassis donors are tough to come by in the US but I have a line on a GT6+ at my landlords for cheap (wants it gone) the car has been sitting a LONG time. lots of rot on the car but would this be suitible for a donor for rack/uprights/IRS?

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 28/11/06 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
This thread about Spitfires semed to be against the idea:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=55579

britishtrident

posted on 28/11/06 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Uprights and rack are as near ideal as you will find however check the condition of the threads at the bottom of the upright where it screws into the trunnion as these corrode/fret/wear badly if not kept lubricatd with (straight ie non-ep) gear oil.

Do a search on the forum --- the subject has been covered many many times.

hughjinjin

posted on 28/11/06 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
front end is one thing, if you're prepared to do a re think of the front suspension the it can be made to work very well. there are generations of single seater racing cars out there (formula ford etc) running on these uprights as well as numerous Lotus road cars. If you do decide to use them and are looking for spare parts remember that they are not identical to the more common herald/spitfire ones, the brakes are bigger and the caliper mounts are different.
the rear end however is not up to the job. If you use a modern 16v engine the diff will break, and the rubber donut type drive shaft joints are crap!

Arthur Dent

posted on 28/11/06 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'd be better off parting out on eBay (bits are worth a good amount - especially trim, brakes, etc) and maybe keeping the rack or spindles. Engine is very heavy and quite large, rear won't take too much power.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

merkurman

posted on 29/11/06 at 03:12 AM Reply With Quote
well I figured I might keep the motor if it isn't seized (cheaper to work with what you have on hand) I could always repower it later on. so basicly redo my geometery and go for it or look for a different donor (assuming the uprights are still good?)

sorry I have been wanting a locost for about 3 years now and HAD a XR4Ti for a couple years I was thinking of breaking for a donor but ended up selling it. figured I would just keep an eye out for a good donor for now and collect little bits. I just picked up a 5 gal General motors fuel tank that is PERFECT for a locost. about the size of a "jerry" can with built in pump and sending unit and a fill cap mounted to the tank. about 18"h x 13"l x 8"w. nice poly unit with grooves for retention straps on it. it is an EFI tank and has a 3/8" pipe coming off it for the vent (EASILY adapted to a tipover valve) from what I picked up on they are used on cab/chassis trucks so they can be moved around (8.1L engines) until a comerical body is fitted (like tow trucks, moving vans and such) and then they are tossed (tank is marked TEMP USE ONLY)

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Arthur Dent

posted on 11/12/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just take a good long hard look at the size and weight of that motor. Might be best to sell it off to a Spitfire or GT6 guy.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

macnab

posted on 12/12/06 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Triumph engines suck. Even my brother in law who's a triumph fanatic agree's their poop!
Arthur Dent

posted on 12/12/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
fun with thrust washers!

martin1973

posted on 23/12/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
i'm a bigg fan of triumphs myself, run a 68 vitesse as daliy driver, couple of heralds to,

the triumph 6 is on of the best engines of it age, sounds great through a ss exhaust.

looking down this avenue myself,

martin

macnab

posted on 31/12/06 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martin1973
i'm a bigg fan of triumphs myself, run a 68 vitesse as daliy driver, couple of heralds to,

the triumph 6 is on of the best engines of it age, sounds great through a ss exhaust.

I agree about they sound nice and they pull well, but I spent 3 days trying to get my brother in laws one to run properly and still its not right.

[Edited on 31/12/06 by macnab]

martin1973

posted on 1/1/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
whats it running carbs or lucas injection?

martin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.