Poll: My shelfed middy project. [View Results]
Rubbbish!
Cool!

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My shelfed middy project.
mr_ed

posted on 1/12/06 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
My shelfed middy project.

CAD forecasts it to weigh ~350kgs, but I'd say less than 400. It is a bit heavier than Jedis and the like due to the nature of the chassis style. Most of the chassis is hidden under the panels before anyone says its not triangulated! Its designed for an R1 engine. Pushrod suspension all round with constant 1:1 motion ratios, but an alternative set of rockers can be fitted to experiment with rising rate. All CAD designed with each tube file producing laser cutter files.

Project put on hold due to new house, baby, lotus elise, etc etc.

Would still like to see it made one-day though.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/12/06 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
you know its cool!

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

iank

posted on 1/12/06 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, but expect to have a chat with Ariel's solicitors if you tried to put it into production

Rollbar looks a little higher than necessary, but I'm sure you've measured it and I'm talking rubbish

Hammerhead

posted on 1/12/06 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
looks good, go for it.

I'm sure Ariel don't have a monopoly on tubular steel spaceframes!

iank

posted on 1/12/06 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
looks good, go for it.

No they don't but they might well have registered the design and have a design copyright for curved top rails with a zig-zag of smaller tubes on cars.

To my eye it's been inspired in that area by the atom. So I believe solicitors would become involved if you tried to sell it - not saying they'd win, but caterham have been winning for years in similar cases.

mr_ed

posted on 1/12/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I was only ever doing it as a one-off, rather than a production, so it didn't really matter.

I think they'd have a hard time pinning you down over it though.

russbost

posted on 1/12/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Make it a bit longer & hide the tubes & it's a Furore!! But I promise I won't sue, it's also quite similar (p'tic with the R1 engine) to the new MK Sprint - but much prettier!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
StevieB

posted on 1/12/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Surely copyright wouldn't be an issue if you just sold the plans (say, for instance, to me!)

Looks very nice though!

andyd

posted on 1/12/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
No they don't but they might well have registered the design and have a design copyright for curved top rails with a zig-zag of smaller tubes on cars.

It's $h1t like this that boils my blood! I think the whole "my concept and I'm copyrighting it" stifles the progress of things. I'm not saying that if I had a really original idea I'd want people cashing in on it instead of me but being able to copyright simple ideas really stops innovation.

It's a bit like saying "you can't build your car with four wheels 'cause I did that first and I've copyrighted that idea". Very silly.

After all that.... looks like a good project idea... go for it.

Andy

Hammerhead

posted on 1/12/06 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
looks good, go for it.

To my eye it's been inspired in that area by the atom. So I believe solicitors would become involved if you tried to sell it - not saying they'd win, but caterham have been winning for years in similar cases.

I have registered designs in the past, and design registration deals with the look of an object. So if you were to silhouette the atom and the car in question you would see that they are very different and would not contavene design regs.

The Atom uses a spaceframe and monocoque in its construction. The blue car is clearly spaceframe only construction. So again there are enough differences.

You can be sued if you copy designs like for like even if they are a one off for personal use and not going to be put into production. But it's highly unlikely. Rescued attachment cars.jpg
Rescued attachment cars.jpg

iank

posted on 1/12/06 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
The curse of having a basic understanding of intellectual property It's getting completely off topic, but here you go if you are interested.

May I refer you to Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (c. 48)
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_1.htm

Bottom line is if there is a clear function you can't protect with a copyright, you would need a patent.

If it's form i.e. artistic (book, poem, picture, font, sculpture, design etc.) then it's protected by copyright.

It's up to a judge/jury to decide if it's a "copy" which is pretty much having a look at two photos and comparing similarities.

In this case (IMO) it's artistic as their is no function to having a curved beam in a spaceframe (for strength you want them straight and a straight beam wouldn't be protected unless it was decorative )

All pretty much irrelevant unless you start distributing them.

Alan B

posted on 1/12/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Zig-zag of smaller tubes?

I believe that is called triangulation..

A basic and very worthwhile engineering practice.

Just teasing, but I take your point....I'm also building a curved tube frame right now...even built my own tube roller to do it an works very well...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 1/12/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote

Peteff

posted on 1/12/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
There looks a lot of ornamental tubing on there, not specifically doing anything towards the overall strength of the chassis, pretty pointless I think.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hammerhead

posted on 1/12/06 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like to see your tube roller Alan. Sounds like the sort of thing I will need when I make my artistically decorative copy of the Atom!!

Alan B

posted on 1/12/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'd like to see your tube roller Alan. Sounds like the sort of thing I will need when I make my artistically decorative copy of the Atom!!

The picture doesn't show the handle on the single rolller.

Description
Description

Description
Description

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 1/12/06 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

Do tell what ^^ is.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Hammerhead

posted on 1/12/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thats great Alan,

Do you have much control over the accuracy?

Did you buy the guides or have them made?

Thanks

gazza285

posted on 1/12/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
How about this one.

Mind, the stadium was built before the Ariel Atom.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

Hammerhead

posted on 1/12/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
ahh so the football club could sue Ariel??

[Edited on 1/12/06 by Hammerhead]

Alan B

posted on 1/12/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Accuracy...yes very good...you can wind on a very small increment of radius change when you get close to size. I just drew out the bend full size to check the radius against (90" in this case, with around 6" straight at each end)

I assume you are refering to the wheels?...thay were bought from a eng supply company (www.mcmaster.com) and later the vee was modified to match the tube better.

Ned, I'm not sure what ^^ means?..if you are asking what I'm making, it is a kind of Atom inspired 3 seater using a mid-mounted Honda V-TEC (can be seen in the backround......just a little fitting in job before I back onto the Meerkat...

gazza285

posted on 1/12/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

We could get a striker then, although our defence could do with some new talent as well (or just talent would do.).

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

mr_ed

posted on 1/12/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Couple more pics...

The chassis looks very complicated in that picture, so this picture shows it to be a bit simpler. The majority of it is 1.5inch 18gauge CDS. Overall it weighs 63Kgs including the nose, sidepods, rollbar and so-on.

iank

posted on 1/12/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

[Edited on 1/12/06 by Hammerhead]

Only if wembley stadium is a car

Peteff

posted on 1/12/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, I'm not sure what ^^ means?

Look in the direction of the pointy things, no not those pointy things pervert, the ones in the writing.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.