Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Testing the water - might be selling my Indy
StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Testing the water - might be selling my Indy

I might have to sell my part built Indy - what do people reckon it'll be worth?

It's on it's wheels, apart from the calipers need reconditioning/fitting.

All donor parts included, 5JJ R1 engine fitted, all bodywork etc. Should just need wheels, lights and a few bits and pieces, as well as the actual assembly.

[Edited on 2/12/06 by StevieB]

donut

posted on 2/12/06 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Why you selling?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
My wife's pregnant and I can't see a way I'm going to finish the car for a long time now, so might as well not have it torturing me that it's so close, yet so far from being on the road!
doughie

posted on 2/12/06 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
if you can store it, do that. lock the door and it'll be waiting till you have the time

will be worth more when completed

StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I'd thought about that, but I've been planning this thing for 10 years, and I'd rather it just wasn't there anymore - it'll go in my memory box of things I don't like to think about, along with having to sell my Elise so we could buy our first house!
graememk

posted on 2/12/06 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
i'm not going to let you sell it, you have it now. its law you must finish it.
Jubal

posted on 2/12/06 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
My wife's pregnant and I can't see a way I'm going to finish the car for a long time now, so might as well not have it torturing me that it's so close, yet so far from being on the road!

Don't take this the wrong way but I cannot understand why a pregnant wife means you cannot have your car? My little one is four months old and I agree there have been compromises but no real sacrifices. Babies sleep a lot you know. Having a project in the garage might be a good thing to fill the long evenings? I'd have gone mad if I hadn't had one or two major things other than the baby occupying my time.

But if you're dead set on selling then u2u me as someone I know who was in my car yesterday wants to buy one for himself.

StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
It's a financial thing - to finish it as I want to will need another £1500 - £2000. I'm just not going to have that sort of money anymore.

The wife wants to give up work and she probably won't give up spending!

graememk

posted on 2/12/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
sell your body for medical reserch on ebay. or a kidney
StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Believe me, I'm doing everything possible - I'm even considering leaving my job and setting myself up as a freelancer (apart from the risk of not being in work, it's far more lucrative).

I'm not definately getting rid of the car yet - I just wondered what it would be worth as it is at the moment.

graememk

posted on 2/12/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
i paid 3k for a rolling car with 99% of the bits to finish, this inc the engine lsd and reconed brakes seats lights etc etc etc
StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Christ - I was thinking of maybe £5

I've spent just over £6k on the parts I've got to date.

If it's only going to be worth that little, it's not worth selling when you take into account my losses.

Can I interest anyone in a kidney?

MAB

posted on 2/12/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts in York are you?

There are 6 of us in Haxby/Wigginton with Kit cars!...

Regards, Mark

Guinness

posted on 2/12/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Don't sell up Steve!

My little lad is 5 now and loves the kit car, we go out in it at weekends (cruising speed) when the wife is at work.

If there is one thing I've learnt since having kids is you spend a lot more time at home! I'd keep it in the garage, work on it a bit at a time, keep your eye on ebay for bargains and get it finished.

Then once it's finished if you really do need to sell it will be worth loads more as a finished SVA'd car rather than an abandoned project.

Just my 2p.

Mike

StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
That was my initial thought - get it finished and it'll be worth more if I need to sell it.

The problem is I'll be financially choked if I can't sort something out. I don't think selling my playstation 2 will be enough

Catpuss

posted on 2/12/06 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, keep it if you can. When my nipper came along it was really either sell the bike or give up beer. Well I gave up beer for quite a while (well appart from the occasional one or two).

Kit yourself with kiddies beds e.t.c from 2nd hand ads. We got a rather lovley cot that would have been a couple of hundred for about 50 and was still in perfect nick. Most wee nipper stuff seems to be made to last for 4 or 5 years but only gets used for 1 or two.

I bet with a bit of care you could at least save enough to get it throuh the SVA and then sell it complete if not keep it.

I would even consider setting asside 2 hrs a week for work on the car just for a bit of calm and sanity.

Don't scrimp on car seats mind. Like helmets, I always buy new.

StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong - it's not a case of how to pay the bills this month.

The major problem is that when the little scamp arrives, there'll be £500 a month in childcare to pay for, so the prospect of finishing becomes years away.

ch1ll1

posted on 2/12/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
why not keep the baby and sell the wife?

graememk

posted on 2/12/06 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
500....wow thats alot i thought the mrs was giving up work
StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
No, she's has to go back to work because we cant afford for her not to. Problem us, we also can't afford the childcare if she does go back - catch 22
DIY Si

posted on 2/12/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Would you be able to share time between work and the nipper? Ie maybe cut down on work a bit and save a fortune on child care? If you can risk going free lance would you be able to work from home and look after the nipper?
Even if you don't make loads of money, you'll save £500 a month, so has to worth thinking about.

[Edited on 2/12/06 by DIY Si]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I can't really do that - going freelance would probably mean I'd be out of the house more - when people pay £300 a day for a service, they expect to see you all of the time!

The wife can't really cut down the hours in her job because, despite all legislation, she (ultimately) works for a guy who doesn't think part time/flexible hours is acceptable and would make her advancement through the firm difficult.

We've tried to encourage the mother in law to move to York, but she's far from convinced yet!

Catpuss

posted on 2/12/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Don't get me wrong - it's not a case of how to pay the bills this month.

The major problem is that when the little scamp arrives, there'll be £500 a month in childcare to pay for, so the prospect of finishing becomes years away.

Its also worth finding out if your work or her's have a voucher scheme. Usually these allow you to buy vouchers up front which give quite a tax saving on them.

DIY Si

posted on 2/12/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Realisticaly, how much more a month could you earn going freelance? Would it be enough to cover the childcare?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
We can both get the childcare vouchers through work, which helps a hell of a lot.

Going freelance, I'd be able to take home about £1,000 per week I work. The risk is taking acount of weeks where you aren't working, which you need to account 2 months per year just in case.

I'm not really worried about general money, but I am worried about giving my child the best of everything I can - if that means the MK has to go, I'll just have to sell it and mope about it for the next 20 years!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.