Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ford v6 probs...
robby

posted on 3/12/06 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
ford v6 probs...

anyone know much about xr4x4's? h reg, 2.9 efi. started running very rough last week, like it was on 5 cyls, but seemed to be just rough on all 6. won't start at all now. getting a spark, getting fuel into cyls. fitted new plugs and leads, changed airflow meters, tried another distributor, no better. any ideas?!
meany

posted on 3/12/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
if no luck on here, click the link below and ask these guys.
http://forum.fordsierraclub.co.uk/index.php?sid=4e0362043b8111927b537c4671276731

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/12/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Check its NOT over fueling, after time the diaphram in the fuel pressure regulator splits and large quantities of fuel enter the engine inlet ports/tracts through the vacuum pipe connections. Simple cure, replace the pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

robby

posted on 3/12/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
cheers!
robby

posted on 3/12/06 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
changed the pressure regulator, and it's started, runs ok on idle for about 5 secs, then gives a miss, almost stalling, then runs ok for another few secs. had all the plugs out, letting them and the cylinders dry out when changing the regulator, so not 100% sure if that was the prob. ( haven't got a timing light, so timing not set accurately yet). any ideas?
jambojeef

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
fuel pump gone i reckon
rusty nuts

posted on 3/12/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it could be the idle speed control valve? Worth taking it off and cleaning with carb cleaner .
graememk

posted on 3/12/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
strip it.... great donor lol

robby

posted on 4/12/06 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
checked fuel pump already, will clean idle sensor tomorrow. cheers! ps no use for donor - that would be a backward step from the bec...
jollygreengiant

posted on 4/12/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, have you changed the fuel FILTER lately.

Just had fun with my Ohmygod, thought it was the fuel pump, nope seems to have been the filter which has not been changed since year dot.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

robby

posted on 4/12/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the thought! got it going, but it's still coughing and farting when sitting at a steady speed, or on the overrun, but seems to be running no bad when accelerating. changed the pressure regulator, but changed so many bits now, not sure when it started improving!
Chippy

posted on 4/12/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Have you changed the fuel filter, mounted just foreword of the tank. When I fitted my V6 I thought that changing the filter was a good idea, the old one weighed about five pounds, new one about half a pound. Just a thought, as its something that gets overlooked. HTH Ray
robby

posted on 5/12/06 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
aye, it seems to be putting plenty through, but think i'll change it anyway - changed everything else so why not?! think i'll go and buy a corsa...
robby

posted on 6/12/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
back again... it was going great yesterday, came home after a drive, turned it off, ten minutes later - won't start! been at it (!) this morning, fuel getting to fuel rail, but injectors not firing. what tells them to open? i've tryed another ecu, same, but what tells it to tell the injectors??!! aaarrgghhh!
NS Dev

posted on 6/12/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
probably throttle potentiometer gone mate, mine did the same.

Its either airflow meters or throttle pot on these, nothing else EVER goes wrong!

Held on the side of the throttle body by two screws, just swap it over.

ps great cars 2.9 4x4, got one meself!

[Edited on 6/12/06 by NS Dev]

[Edited on 6/12/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mcerd1

posted on 6/12/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
ps great cars 2.9 4x4, got one meself!

Do either of you want any parts ???

I've got a 1989 2.9 4x4 as a donor

I only want a few bits for my Rush so everything but the back axle + steering colum will be avalible soon(ish) inc a not to bad body (for a 1989 sierra )

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/mcerd1/Donor/IMG_0147.jpg

[Edited on 6/12/06 by mcerd1]

robby

posted on 6/12/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
cheers, throttle pot sorted it!

thanks for the offer of bits - could do wi glove box catch, two screws hold it on from inside glove box - if you can be arsed taking it off? thanks!

mcerd1

posted on 6/12/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robby
if you can be arsed taking it off? thanks!

If it'll get rid of bit of the car it you can have it

sure I can't tempt you with the whole dash or whole car ?

NS Dev

posted on 7/12/06 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robby
cheers, throttle pot sorted it!

thanks for the offer of bits - could do wi glove box catch, two screws hold it on from inside glove box - if you can be arsed taking it off? thanks!

Cool, good to hear its sorted!

These are possibly the most reliable cars ever constructed (apart from an appetite for clutch cables on uprated clutches) just can't seem to kill mine!!!

Can't afford to either at the mo so I hope it didn't hear that!!! lol

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mcerd1

posted on 7/12/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got any idea why mine refuses to start ?

It turns over fine, there is plenty of fuel getting there (maybe to much?), it got a weekish looking spark (although the leads are crap)

If I try and start it, it'll turn over a couple of times sort of catch (if my foot is on the floor) it will then 'run' (lumpy as hell and only with my foot on the floor) for 30 secs and die - after this it refuses to go agian - it I try again it just floods its self

Any ideas ??

NS Dev

posted on 7/12/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
airflow meter or throttle pot, as I say both give similar symptoms, the same as what you suggest, and not much else ever fails on these setups.

I'd stick my money on the airflow meters, especially if the engine has stood for a bit, and especially if water has got in them (they are upside-down on these, and water sometimes gets down the spindle and onto the pot board)

get a replacement pair from a good breakers that will give refunds. Make sure they have the same long number on the top of the plastic lids too, as ones from different cars are calibrated differently internally, and even though it is just a sprung locking ring, I've never had much success copying calibration from one to another for some odd reason!!

If it still is bad, then its the pot. If you struggle I have a spare pot.

These are the same on granada 2.9 etc though so easier to get.

Meters need to come from an XR4x4 though.

NS Dev

posted on 7/12/06 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
PS get the impression you are worrying about spark. Very rarely a problem on these, can make them stuttery on sudden throttle opening if the plugs and leads are old and dodgy but they will run fine at idle and cruise on terrible leads and plugs!!!

mcerd1

posted on 7/12/06 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks, I actually only want to drive it 200 yards - park it - then take the back axle off

and since I don't want to spend money on it - I might just give up and tow it (I don't have a field to drive it in anymore anyway -> slipery field + 4x4 + LSD + V6 = )

so I'll have airflow metres and throttle pot sensor spare (do you know how to test them off the car ??)

[Edited on 7/12/06 by mcerd1]

NS Dev

posted on 7/12/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
you can but I don't know the resistance values required and its a bit dodgy as it'll have failed in patches on the board.

robby

posted on 7/12/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
sure I can't tempt you with the whole dash or whole car ?

no thanks, still got half of my donor lying about!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.