Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cam cover painting - I've done a search...
jamesg20

posted on 12/12/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cam cover painting - I've done a search...

Can i paint a cam cover in standard paint or does it have to be HT or VHT?

Also if i donneed HT paint, surely i need HT laquer?

I've seen people using powdercoat but it's a a hassle i could do without, especially as on my last project the powdercoating on the chassis was affected by the exghaust heat...

RazMan

posted on 12/12/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
In theory you can use standard bodywork paint but I would play safe and use an HT paint as it will have better resistance to oil & high temperature - also they don't need a laquer.

[Edited on 12-12-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jamesg20

posted on 12/12/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers RazMan thats what i thought.... Problem being i can only find limited colours in HT paint... anyone know a good source for small quanitities?
02GF74

posted on 12/12/06 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
if you can get red,yellow,black,white and blue, you can mix up your own colour - make sure you make up more than you need so you can touch up any scrapes in the future.

In theory cam cover should be running at water temp so shouldn't get much more than 100 C.

muzchap

posted on 12/12/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I painted mine with normal 2 pack and it's been absolutely fine - even with this summers extreme temperatures and the odd trackday.

You don't need HT paint - unless it's the block IMHO

Peope will always disagree - but hey, even if it flakes off after 2 years - is it such a hardship to repaint? That's what WINTER is designed for

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

the_fbi

posted on 12/12/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Normal body paint has been fine on mine.

I'm not sure I agree with the "is it such as hardship to repaint?". Took hours of preparation to do this. In the flesh its a stunning job.

What looks like orange peel, isn't, its the edge of the fluffy clouds.

[Edited on 12/12/06 by the_fbi]

NS Dev

posted on 12/12/06 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
standard paint is fine, if the cover gets too hot for it then the paint finish will be the least of your worries!!!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

DaveFJ

posted on 12/12/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
spary cans of 'plasticoat' are available in loads of colours and apparently good for 150 degrees........

just a thought

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

NS Dev

posted on 12/12/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muzchap
I painted mine with normal 2 pack and it's been absolutely fine - even with this summers extreme temperatures and the odd trackday.

You don't need HT paint - unless it's the block IMHO

Peope will always disagree - but hey, even if it flakes off after 2 years - is it such a hardship to repaint? That's what WINTER is designed for

even on a block you won't, I use industrial floor paint, tough as old boots.

if it gets too hot for it then you have no coolant left, again in which case repainting the engine will be the least of your worries

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jamesg20

posted on 12/12/06 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ok cool thanks... next question...
Where can i get paint in spray can form?
I have the paint code from lotus but halfrauds don't have it, I'm trying to avoid having to source it through the main stealer.....

RazMan

posted on 12/12/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Your local paint factor will be able to mix it to your paint code and stick it in an aerosol for you - much better paint quality than Halfrauds too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 12/12/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesg20
Ok cool thanks... next question...
Where can i get paint in spray can form?
I have the paint code from lotus but halfrauds don't have it, I'm trying to avoid having to source it through the main stealer.....

May be cheaper from a main dealer....

http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130058457613

David Jenkins

posted on 12/12/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Better spray cans too - the paint place I go to makes up cans that give a really good fan pattern, with no spattering. It comes as a surprise when you're used to cr*ppy Halfrauds and Plasticote cans...

David

the_fbi

posted on 12/12/06 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Last Halfords cans I used were perfect. Nice steady pressure/fan and did a perfect job.

Cam cover above was with Halford cans. Doing some manufacturing at work currently where we're used Halfords cans too, all perfect.

Best primer/lacquer has to be U-Pol System 20 though (www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk)

jamesg20

posted on 12/12/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
What can I say?!
Thanks very much, paint ordered.

chriscook

posted on 12/12/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
The paint halfords make up in a spray car for you comes in pretty decent cans - they are different to there on the shelf types cans.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.