Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Balancing a speedboat??
macnab

posted on 13/12/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Balancing a speedboat??

Totally unrelated subject. I’m scratch building a large radio controlled speedboat / cruiser. It has a planning bottom at the back and should go like stink with the motors I’ve fitted. I need to know (roughly) where it should balance so that I can work out where to install the cradles for the battery packs. I suspect that it should be too the rear rather than just in the centre, i.e. over the planning section of the hull. I have angled the props at 25 deg so it shouldn’t pitch up on power.

Would anyone have an idea??? Last thing I want is it doing a cartwheel a 40mph…

[Edited on 13/12/06 by macnab]

silex

posted on 13/12/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
its not easy to say without seeing as there are so many variables.

However, a good method if you are capableof running in water is to temporarily fit the batteries in using blue tac. Then you can test the batteries in different places and get the very best setup for the configuration you have. Once you have found the sweet spot make the cradles to fit that exact position.

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

Richard Quinn

posted on 13/12/06 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I used to race both FSR-V (multi) and FSR-O (offshore) but, as said above, it's difficult without seeing. Is it surface or submerged drive? A side-on photo showing the hull profile, prop / rudder location etc would help.
macnab

posted on 13/12/06 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
cheers dudes,

I'll get a couple of pictures tonight and see what you think though its very similar to this boat Rescued attachment boat.jpg
Rescued attachment boat.jpg

macnab

posted on 13/12/06 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
oh yeh and I modelled the bottom on one of these... Rescued attachment torpedo boat.jpg
Rescued attachment torpedo boat.jpg

Ian Pearson

posted on 13/12/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Is that last pic of a Nasty Class? Tasty boats!

[Edited on 13/12/06 by Ian Pearson]

macnab

posted on 13/12/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
hmm not sure of the class, their on the web for sale in america I think, resting on a river bank. Bit past it now as the wood planking has rotted away some with huge holes in the side. Rescued attachment lineup.jpg
Rescued attachment lineup.jpg

zetec7

posted on 13/12/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've been building R/C model boats for years (my wife says centuries), including high-speed electrics, Chris-Craft inboards, etc., and as a general rule for a planing hull, the boat should balance at a point approximately 1/3 of the way forward from the transom. This is a good starting point, and all mine ended up extremely close to that in the end. If you start off that way, then ballasting will be very easy in the end.

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.