Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TR6 uprights
colintvr

posted on 13/12/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
TR6 uprights

Does anyone have any experience of lowering a car that uses the TR6 front upright? It's the bigger brother to the Herald/Spitfire type with a similar but larger trunnion.
Specifically, since I can't move the chassis end pick-ups, I need to lower the upright's points, ie, move the top ball joint and trunnion lug down by a similar amount. Any information on this upright would be interesting, I don't see much written about it as TR6 guys only have to fit lowering blocks at the chassis end. Thanks, Colin.

mookaloid

posted on 13/12/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a couple of Scimitars which use this upright.

I guess that shorter springs would do it but you need to have a look at the geometry afterwards. you would preserve the geometry by simply moving the wisbone mounting points up - which would have the effect of lowering the car.

I don't think there is a lot of future in trying to modify the trunnions etc

HTH

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

TL

posted on 14/12/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Scimitar;

If you only want to lower the car by up to about an inch, you can simply invert the lower wishbones. which will lower the coil-over bottom mount. If you want to lower by more than that, the upper & lower WB brackets all bolt to the chassis, so can be repositioned, but the top coil-over mount is welded intergral to the chassis (at least it is on the Scimitar), so is not as easy to move.

What car will you be using this on? IMHO its a bit OTT for a 7.

Just saw your profile, so I assume it's for your TVR

[Edited on 14/12/06 by TL]

Cheers,

Terry

TL

posted on 14/12/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/tr6/images/66a.gif

This shows the brackets. Interestingly, the picture shows the upper WB mount bolted to the top face of the chassis (i.e. the bracket fixing bolts pointing downwards.)

This may or may not be correct for TR6, but on the Scimitar the brackets mount to the vertical face of the chassis leg, so the fixing bolts point left to right.

Cheers,

Terry

colintvr

posted on 14/12/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it is a TVR and so moving the chassis points would be major surgery. Both the Scimitar and the TR6 use bolt on inboard pick-ups so it's no matter moving them.
I've had some stress people look at the lower upright's stub which carries the trunnion, with a view to accessing whether it can take the extra bending moment introduced by lowering the trunnion lug. They guessed it probably could but would need the material spec and load profile. The trunnions that are about nowadays are so poor in manufacture I really begrudge using them.
All thoughts welcome, Colin

britishtrident

posted on 15/12/06 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Just use smaller OD tyres.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.