Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Very interesting site.....
Alan B

posted on 19/6/03 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Very interesting site.....

http://www.dpcars.net/

Look at the DP1 in particular......

700 pounds 4WD mid-engined Hayabusa powered...awesome.......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Leeper

posted on 19/6/03 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Not keen on the body shape! It is just overly fussy and complicated for my taste. The spec seems very good though. I am not sure about bike engines in cars though. It just doesn't seem right somehow. Still I could be very wrong and just ill informed I guess

Jon Leeper

If in doubt, blow it up!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Scouse Monkey

posted on 19/6/03 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at that site a while ago and that guy must be loaded! Oh well better go get a job!
ProjectLMP

posted on 19/6/03 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've had my eye on this for a while. Pretty interesting. Its like a big go kart. With that short wheelbase it could be a bit twitchy at high speed.

I guess he's taking the high tech approach to car designing/building having all the construction outsourced based on 3D models. I like the CAD stuff and it is very useful but I don't think I could completely design a car without physically being able to look at or touch the real thing as it progresses. Definately takes a different mind set.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

Scouse Monkey

posted on 19/6/03 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a brand new Haybusa to strip down for a car project - excellent!
Spyderman

posted on 19/6/03 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
Bought a brand new Haybusa to strip down for a car project - excellent!

It certainly looked like that didn't it?
However he mentions on another page about getting the bike from a salvage yard. I think when he is concerned about a possible recall mod for camchain.

Money is clearly no object to him though.

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 19/6/03 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'd certainly agree that the project is not quite so locost as some........(e.g. mine)....

But, to me it is still interesting to share the ideas and thought process......IMO that has great value no matter the cost of the parts going in to it...at least he is putting a lot his own labour in to it and being creative, that is always to be admired....

Scouse Monkey

posted on 20/6/03 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look in the build story for his project (not the Megabusa). He bought the bike from a dealer, ran it for a bit and then stripped it and sold the bits on Ebay. Thats what he plans to do if he goes into production as you cant buy the engines from dealers or something!

[Edited on 20/6/03 by Scouse Monkey]

[Edited on 20/6/03 by Scouse Monkey]

Spyderman

posted on 20/6/03 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Scouse Monkey,
Yup you are right!

Sorry I was thinking of the Megabusa article!

I wish I could afford a Hiyabusa period!
Let alone one to strip down!

I noticed with a couple of articles whenever he has a problem he just throws money at it.
With the Elise he puts on a new freer flowing exhaust mainfold and just expects more power. He never mentions that it might need setting up to benefit from the better gas flow.

Lucky to have all that money I suppose!
I hate him! Bwah!

Terry

[Edited on 20/6/03 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

ceebmoj

posted on 20/6/03 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
After reading the site I liked the idea of the car something similar to what I would like to build if I ever have enough cash slash knowledge. This got me thinking all though I know a small amount about mechanics (I know what a spanner is) I know very little about aerodynamics (apart from what I have learn from building model aircraft) or suspension geometry can some one recommend a good web sight that I can use to learn about these things.

If possible I would prefer web sights as I am operating on a tight budget (repaying student det).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.