Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: towing a car
novacaine

posted on 7/1/07 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
towing a car

what a the rules about towing a car that has no MOT?

ive heard that you can tow if its a rigid tow bar, ive then heard that you can tow a car in any condition with anything from another forum ....anyone care to clarify this issue?

cheers

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

big_wasa

posted on 7/1/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is if its on the road then it needs Tax, Test, Insurance and the whole nine yards.
rusty nuts

posted on 7/1/07 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Probably better to hire a towcar/trailer or small car transporter for the job . Check out your local acr club, someone may be able to help
big_wasa

posted on 7/1/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Is this to get your free-be car home ?

My advice is find a friendly farmer. My new job takes me out to all the farms in the middle of no ware. No wonder there are no donors in the scrap yards, They all sit in farm yards.

Capris, Cortinas, Sierras, Marinas, 2 Victor estates plus loads more. Ive seen loades in the last two months. I just dont have any ware to put them.

nick205

posted on 7/1/07 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

My advice is find a friendly farmer. My new job takes me out to all the farms in the middle of no ware. No wonder there are no donors in the scrap yards, They all sit in farm yards.

Capris, Cortinas, Sierras, Marinas, 2 Victor estates plus loads more. Ive seen loades in the last two months. I just dont have any ware to put them.

I'll 2nd that! My last Sierra find was in a field being used as a dog kennel and hay store

On the towing issue, I've asked our local bobby (neighbour) about this before and he "recomended" that any vehicle being towed was legally roadworthy and insured.

RazMan

posted on 7/1/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I THINK that if you use a dolly (the type that raises the front wheels in a cradle anyway) is ceases to become a car and is magically transformed into a trailer
You would need a hefty towing vehicle in your case though !

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/1/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
thats the rumour. I tried searching vosa/dvla but got no answer. I believe that if wheels are on the ground, it must be insured etc. If its on a dolly (or an A frame) then it counts as a trailer, but then wouldnt be legal due to the brake requirements.
jamesg20

posted on 7/1/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure towing dollies of any lkind are illegal, it's just it doesn't seem to be enforced. If it goes tits up, i'm pretty sure the insurance company would refuse a claim though.
damien

posted on 7/1/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesg20
I'm pretty sure towing dollies of any lkind are illegal, it's just it doesn't seem to be enforced. If it goes tits up, i'm pretty sure the insurance company would refuse a claim though.

2nd this, did read that towing bars/dollies/a-frames are illegal unless its being used in a emergancy i.e if a car has stopped on the motorway you can use a rope to move it to a save place like on the hardshoulder, you can not use a rope to say pull a car from your house to a track day.

if any of the wheels are touching the ground the car must be road legal i.e mot/tax etc

be safe and rent a trailer

goodall

posted on 7/1/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
what about people that cut cars in half and turn then into trailers?
should they bring there half car to the mot centre every year then and how would the emissions test work for that.

as long as its the wheels that are not driven on the road its legal i think so lift the front wheels up if she fwd or lift the rear wheels of the ground if shes rwd and have a mechanical conection between the to cars and its wit in the law i think

rusty nuts

posted on 7/1/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
If a car is cut in half and the back end used as a trailer it is not capable of being driven and stops being a vehicle. Although as a trailer it may need to conform to C&U regulations?
moss

posted on 21/1/07 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
With no tax or mot or engine is't not capable of being drive on the road so stops being a Vehicle. Just take the car number plate off and fit a trailer board

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.