Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC Donor/Registration
angus.d

posted on 11/1/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
BEC Donor/Registration

Please forgive me if topics have previously been covered.
Keen to start project to build MK Indy with R1/GSXR 1000 bike power however do I really need to buy a complete donor Sierra or just the parts I need from a scrappy ?
If a complete car which model Sierra to look for, or any to avoid ?
I would like one with a 3.62 or a 3.38 diff if poss but would like rear discs.

Also if I get a complete Sierra donor how do I get an age related plate on my BEC if I'm not going to use the engine or gearbox ? I thought it had to use a certain number of key components from the donor ?

I take it if you dont start with a complete donor you have to have a Q-plate ?

Any advice appreciated

Angus

Guinness

posted on 11/1/07 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Angus

I wouldn't be too concerned about registering it, you'll end up at Gosforth DVLA! The woman who did mine said it had been about 6 months since she last did "one of these". Handed the forms in, along with the VIN plate, V5 and the chassis stamp from my donor vehicle, along with all the paperwork.

She went outside to have a look at the car, got me to take the bonnet off, she checked the VIN number (that I'd made up and had engraved onto a plate), but she couldn't see the engine number. (She was stood on ground and the car was up on a trailer). So she got me to read it out to her! She filled in the paperwork and I got an age related plate. (Origin of engine "Ford" was what was on the form (a very nice 1.1, 16valve Ford engine with "KAWASAKI" cast into the engine covers!).

No way she was scrabbling round underneath to see if the rear diff was off the same Sierra that the steering column was off. In fact I don't think she'd have known if I hadn't used a single Sierra component (if you know what I mean) As long as she got a V5 and a Vin Plate off a Sierra then that was OK with her!

HTH

Mike

zxrlocost

posted on 11/1/07 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
basically mate the dvla are a total wee up

mine wanted 7? main parts on my r1 build

they have all got there own rules even with the donor v5 I still got a q plate

so I wouldnt worry about it source your parts if you get a Q it wont effect the resell price

3.62 lsd and rear discs came on the xr4x4 the only benefit is the LSD some reckon its pointless

and the fact dics look better drums will still be fine due to the lightweight of the car

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

BenB

posted on 11/1/07 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Totally agree. DVLA will no doubt cock things up when it comes to registration so I wouldn't worry too much!!!

They seem to be determined whenever possible to give an age-related plate..... Which is good when they give one based on the donor. Not good when they try to give you one based on the date of vehicle completion when you've got a 1990 cat-free carb'd engine in it!!! Crazy foooooolz!

G.Man

posted on 11/1/07 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
basically mate the dvla are a total wee up

mine wanted 7? main parts on my r1 build

they have all got there own rules even with the donor v5 I still got a q plate

so I wouldnt worry about it source your parts if you get a Q it wont effect the resell price

3.62 lsd and rear discs came on the xr4x4 the only benefit is the LSD some reckon its pointless

and the fact dics look better drums will still be fine due to the lightweight of the car

ta chris

LSD depends on whether you want to powerslide or gain max acceleration...

Its easier to spin one wheel then 2, so you get a better chance of not breaking traction with the LSD, but when you do, you still retain forward motion rather than stand still...

I prefer mine with LSD but wish I had the lighter xr4x4 one than the heavyweight cossie job

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.