Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PC Freeview cards?
jolson

posted on 11/1/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
PC Freeview cards?

Does anyone us a PC Freeview PCI card or a USB Freeview box??

I'm wondering if PCI has any advantage over USB 2.0?

The card I'm looking at is this one. Its to be a replacement for a USB Freeview stick I was given for Christmas; badly made antenna socket made it almost impossible for it to see a decent signal. Its gone back now. Has anyone used one of these??

Cheers

John

geoff shep

posted on 11/1/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, had one of those and kids have one now. Works well, software is ok, better than other ones I've seen - better than the stuff that shipped with my acer laptop. USB has the advantage of portability/flexibility eg to use with different computers etc but for that price its worth it to have it fitted and out of the way. You will need a reasonable signal for the freeview but if its good enough for a TV in my experience its good enough for that pci card. (Not true with my acer - I have a high gain digital aerial connected solely to my laptop and signal is still poor.
Donkeymatt

posted on 12/1/07 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have had both a USB and Freeview card - from my experience, the cards provide a much better picture - they also have the advantage of doing some of the processing themselves - whereas the USB devices use your computers processor - slowing it down and sometimes making the picture "jump" if a lot happens on-screen. Go the card route!
Hope this helps
Matt

mcerd1

posted on 12/1/07 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Never tried a USB one but I've had two pci ones

- a V-stream ? one that works but came with crap software

- and my new asus one (does Freeview, analoge and FM) worked well in my old house (I haven't got a signal at all in the new house yet, not even analoge )
came with WinCinema software which is alright

http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=18&l2=83&l3=252&model=547&modelmenu=1

Noodle

posted on 13/1/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I bought that card from EBuyer last year. I used that PCI card and a USB stick, both on an external aerial for a media box I built for the kids.

It is excellent. Most people don't realise, but Freeview actually broadcasts in an MPEG2 stream at 768x576, i.e. it's DVD format! Therefore there's virtually no processing to be done by the PC, it justs writes the data it receives directly onto the hard disk.

I coupled the card with GB-PVR, a free .NET program for scheduling and managing recordings. It'll even recompress the MPEG2's into xVid format for you.

I tried a USB stick (from Maplins) and it was pants. With skids on.

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a USB2 Hauppauge NovaT Freeview Stick and the picture is excellent. I run it plugged into a 933Mhz Pentium 3 Desktop PC (small form factor so PCI wasnt an option) with a small form factor USB2 PCI card as the original USB sockets were only USB1.

Whatever card you decide on though, its worth having a look at DVB Webscheduler for programming recordings, much better than the OEM software and uses less than 30% CPU even recording on my comparatively slow PC. You can also get 14 Day EPG information into Web Scheduler using XMLTV GUI which scrapes RSS information from the Radiotimes website via a scheduled task and populates the EPG.

It takes a bit of time to set up correctly but it works really well once up and running, Ive even set up my firewall so I can log onto the web front end from the internet (either another PC or my mobile phone), ideal when you're down the pub and forgot to record Match of the Day.

Having said that I might have a play with GB-PVR as that looks pretty good as well

[Edited on 13/1/07 by ChrisGamlin]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.