Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Copyrights of words
greggors84

posted on 1/2/07 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Copyrights of words

Im trying to get some T-shirts printed from www.spreadshirt.com.

I got some done last year, using the simple digital transfer method where you upload your image, arrange in on a t shirt and order it. They look really good.

The problem is this method only works on white or grey products, for other colours and most products you need to upload a vector image. The problem is when you submit an image they check to make sure the image will work, but also check the copyrights.

They have refused my design firstly it had 'Dunlop' on it in the dunlop font, this was a bit silly of me so I changed to just Dunlop in the same font as the rest of the next. Then they said that Dunlop will be registered as a word mark and they are sure LeMans is too.

Surely Le Mans can't be as it is a place name, maybe if it sad Le Mans 24 hr, or the french equivalent.

Also Dunlop, is that word trademarked, can they do that, how do they know my t shirt isnt referring to Joey Dunlop?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Luke Allanson

posted on 1/2/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
whether its possible or not, the company is no doubt going to want to play it safe to cover their arses. Perhaps if you were to print off your design and cut it out in the form of a stencil, you can get acrylic gel medium fairly cheaply in more or less any local art shop, which, once mixed with your choice of acrylic paint becomes permanent on t shirts (after a few hand washes).
02GF74

posted on 1/2/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Joey Dunlop must change his name;

search the patent office.

http://www.patent.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-text?detailsrequested=C&searchtext=dunlop&typeofsearch=S&classselected=99&crosssearch=Y& statusselected=A

and you can't use caterham, even though you may live there or know a Mr Tony Caterham

http://www.patent.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=E2027605

oh, and lemans, le mans are registered too so tough

nor can you use arse! (hours fo fun searching for rude words)

[Edited on 1/2/07 by 02GF74]

greggors84

posted on 1/2/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Im happy with the white and grey t shirts they as the quality is very good (fruit of the loom) and the printing is spot on. But its for things like t shirts and mugs they need a vector image.

Ok LeMans is trademarked as a word. How about LEMANS, does that count, the only references to LEMANS in the patents data base is to Logos, so surely I can use the word.

Dunlop isnt so important to me, but again most of the trademarks relate to logos except for DUNLOP in capitals.

Anyone know how I can convince Spreadshirt of this. Maybe an email to Dunlops legal department will help.

The Le Mans word trademark actually belongs or used to belong to Volkswagen AG!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

brashhighlander

posted on 1/2/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
why don't you just print them off yourself on the paper the you iron on to a t shirt. Very simple, all you need is a women to do the ironing
David Jenkins

posted on 1/2/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
FYI - most large companies are FANATICAL about maintaining their registered logos and names, for the simple reason that if they get misused or transfer into common use then they can lose the right to register them.

I know that in previous companies that I've worked for, the logo/name had to be displayed perfectly or not at all, for that very same reason. Any unauthorised user has to be chased, otherwise the company faces a huge hassle to keep the branding.

Not trying to justify this - it's just the way it is.

David

pewe

posted on 1/2/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Most large companies/organisations have their trade-marks/logos covered every-which-way by copyright plus whole departments to police them. They will not allow you to use them as they are normally paranoid about pirate items and your supplier can be prosecuted for passing-off those pirate copies. Short answer is no reputable print company will supply you.
Back to the drawing board I think! Cheers, Pewe.
PS You can probably gather from Dave 's and my reply it is not a good thing!!!!

[Edited on 1/2/07 by pewe]

alister667

posted on 1/2/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Joey Dunlop must change his name;

search the patent office.

http://www.patent.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-text?detailsrequested=C&searchtext=dunlop&typeofsearch=S&classselected=99&crosssearch=Y& statusselected=A

and you can't use caterham, even though you may live there or know a Mr Tony Caterham

http://www.patent.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=E2027605

oh, and lemans, le mans are registered too so tough

nor can you use arse! (hours fo fun searching for rude words)

[Edited on 1/2/07 by 02GF74]

Ahhh, but in Northern Ireland Joey Dunlop is actualy spelled "G" "O" "D"

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 1/2/07 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
As an employee of NGK - I can vouch for the defence of Trademark, Logo's and everything related to copyright and enforcement.

However, policing it is a different matter. Most of the stickers and clothing with the NGK Logo are mostly illegal copies. We have enforced copyright infringment a few times but it grows quicker than we can stop it. China is the worst offender...

Steve

greggors84

posted on 1/2/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I can understand the copyright completely, I was wondering how they can copyright a name such as Dunlop when it could be used in lots of different contexts.

I might contact Duke and ask how they get round when producing covers for Joey Dunlop DVDs.

Cheers for all the comments though

[Edited on 1/2/2007 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

cossiebri

posted on 1/2/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
As an employee of NGK - I can vouch for the defence of Trademark, Logo's and everything related to copyright and enforcement.

However, policing it is a different matter. Most of the stickers and clothing with the NGK Logo are mostly illegal copies. We have enforced copyright infringment a few times but it grows quicker than we can stop it. China is the worst offender...

Steve

Any cheap deals on plugs then steve

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.