Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Q plate emissions / from the horses mouth
BenB

posted on 12/2/07 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Q plate emissions / from the horses mouth

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2025%20-%20Oct%202004.pdf

page 8

Quite clearly states for Q plates it's a visual test only.
Might print it off to take for my MOT (whenever I need one) just in case I get hassle @ MOT time (my V5 says I'm a Q plate but has the emission limits from SVA!!!).....
More DVLA balls-ups!!!

Aboardman

posted on 12/2/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
my car was a q plate which had the emissions limits on the v5.

when i took it for mot it was a smoke test only as the computer said the car was first used in 1973.

mot stations have no control on what the computer says.

BenB

posted on 12/2/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
You would hope that with computerised MOTs the Q-plate quandry would be sorted. Well that's what I'm hoping will happen. I just worry due to the fact that when I registered my car the DVLA demonstrated their complete cluelessness regarding anything to do with cars or their registration.... Wonders what they're their for really Must be driving tests....

At least if I take something along from VOSA saying Q-plate is visable smoke only they might consider ringing VOSA to check rather than just saying "computer says no".... or rather "computer says exhaust probe time...."....

Oh well, if I got out the flat and into the garage I could finish the EFi and stop worrying about emissions and pi$$ poor MPG!!!!

bodger

posted on 12/2/07 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I just hope I get mine done before some little jobsworth decides to close that particular loophole!
Colnago_Man

posted on 12/2/07 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of curiosity , as Aboardman just stated his car was 'first used' in 1973, and quite correctely in Kit-Car terms.
But does the MOT guy not look at the car with its shiney GRP,Carbon Seats and LCD Dash and think '1973 no way'. and reject the car for some reason.

I know we are within the law but it just worries me a little when my first MOT is due.

Aboardman

posted on 12/2/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colnago_Man
Just out of curiosity , as Aboardman just stated his car was 'first used' in 1973, and quite correctely in Kit-Car terms.
But does the MOT guy not look at the car with its shiney GRP,Carbon Seats and LCD Dash and think '1973 no way'. and reject the car for some reason.

I know we are within the law but it just worries me a little when my first MOT is due.

i did question it at the time as i had a zetec engine in the car, mot tester said that is what computer said so he had to work by it.

bigrich

posted on 12/2/07 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
if you read the mot manual it also states that kitcars built after 1998 "S reg" are subject to SVA and should be tested to the limits on the v5(which are you SVA test limits) also vosa have stopped putting the emmision limits on the mot check sheets for the tester to refer to. but as you say q reg are tret as visual smoke, so which section of the manual is correct?
i don't think it was written with kitcars in mind as they make up only a very small proportion of all vehicles on the road

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.