Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: leaky bits
Cubby

posted on 23/2/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
leaky bits

Hi this one’s drivng me fecking mad !! Problem is with the flexible brake lines between master cylinder and reservoir . I’ve had to change the hoses 3 times now .It seems ok for about 6 weeks and does not leak then you look it one day and you find the cotton braid soaked in brake fluid and acting like a wick soaking it up to the reservoir. I’ve tried braided hose from both Burton and Merlin and both do the same thing and it is supposed to be suitable for brake fluid (DOT 5.1 I’m using). Anyone else had any similar issues??? The car is still being built so it’s not as though I’m using the brakes it’s just standing in the garage! Any suggs gratefully accepted

Rescued attachment leaky.jpg
Rescued attachment leaky.jpg

zetec7

posted on 23/2/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
The bottom end looks solid - brake fluid wicks very well, though - any chance it's got a slight leak at the reservoir end & is wicking down the outside of the line? If the reservoir is plastic, it won't take much of a flaw in the outlet to let fluid leak slowly around the joint, and it could wick down to the bottom before building up enough fluid to show...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 23/2/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not the correct type of hose?? You need one with the correct markings on it to get through SVA . Do a search, this has been covered loads of times. Also Jubilee clips are not the best clips to use on small brake and fuel pipes , your better off using proper fuel pipe clips
Cubby

posted on 23/2/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Brake hose markings:

SYTEC FH013 NBR DIN 73379 B

Think this is ok for brake fluid???

Will check reservoir end

RazMan

posted on 23/2/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Its probably fuel hose which is not suitable for brake fluid. The fact that it is ok for a few weeks and then leaks again is fairly convincing proof - fuel hose will 'sweat' after a while, actually oozing through the surface of the hose.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 23/2/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
you can get the stuff you need from lots of places. i think burton now do it. If you're stuck old land rovers use them.
andrew.carwithen

posted on 23/2/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cubby
Brake hose markings:

Will check reservoir end

According to the spec sheet for this type hose it is suitable for low pressure brake fluid applications (I've fitted the same to link my remote reservoir to the master cylinders for this very reason with SVA in mind. 'Though not filled with brake fluid yet so dunno if mine'll leak or not.)
Just a thought, is it possible the outlet unions are not sealing properly in the remote reservoir. Think they're merely a push-fit into rubber grommets.)

Andy.

rusty nuts

posted on 23/2/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Burton's didn't do it when I needed mine , they may now . Try Think automotive , got mine from them
iank

posted on 23/2/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cubby
Brake hose markings:

Will check reservoir end

A quick google shows
DIN 73379 is a fuel hose spec
DIN 74310 is a brake hose spec

FH013 is principly designed as a fuel hose, but the spec sheet says it is ok for low pressure brake fluid. It doesn't say what kind, maybe it only likes DOT5.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.