Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Almost ready for first mould
suparuss

posted on 25/2/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Almost ready for first mould

my fingers are worn to the bone and the dust has knocked about 2 years off my life but the front of the car is nice and shiny!
heres some pics-

this is with a layer of fiberglass then some filling to fine tune the shape. i sealed the lights with some pva release fluid and glassed right over them since the foam is attatched to them. hopefully i can rescue them after the mould is made.

front glassed over
front glassed over

and the nose.

nose glassed
nose glassed

after more sanding and filling i put on a coat of polyeurethane varnish to bring out any more imperfections and filled and sanded. then repeated again.
this is the final 2 coats of varnish which is still wet.

last 2 coats of sealer on
last 2 coats of sealer on

and the nose- i used black sealer as any pin holes, scratches or any other imperfections will show up more than with any other colour.
another note is that without the headlights visible it doesnt look anywhere near as nice. it just shows how small details can make big differences.

and again
and again

unfortunately i have just got a job after 5 weeks of lazyness which means the car will slow down abit. it looks like not a lot has been done but a select few here will know the amount of work to get it to a shiny smooth state.
the next step will be to sand it down again working through finer and finer grits and then wax and polish ready for the mould. then ill be able to cast the first body part!

macnab

posted on 25/2/07 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
could I be bothered with all that work????

nope

well done, though you can't be sleeping much going by the rate your getting through this project...

tegwin

posted on 25/2/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Looks awsome!
Mansfield

posted on 25/2/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your job but the car is looking fantasic.

I think most people on here understand the effort and commitment invloved in acheiving what you have.

macnab

posted on 25/2/07 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
The mind boggles at these people who can do such things; I've never seen such dedication and talent. Makes me feel embarrassed at my pitiful progress.

mackei23b

posted on 25/2/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely superb!

Well done.

Cheers

Ian

suparuss

posted on 25/2/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
actually its quite sad when you think about it, spending 4 or 5 hours a day every day working on the car!
not working has helped it along a lot and not everyone has that benefit.
that said i have always been extremely motivated in what i do and like to crack on, probably beyond obsession i suppose.
although the biggest factor is probably not having a women nagging me all the time!

Jon Ison

posted on 25/2/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Respect.

The work and effort gone into that goes way beyond the call of duty.

kb58

posted on 26/2/07 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
my fingers are worn to the bone and the dust has knocked about 2 years off my life but ...

Be careful of the dust and fumes, they can give you asthma, it did to me...

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doug68

posted on 26/2/07 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
Looking very good. I hope the lights come out ok. Whats the plan to deal with the leading edges?

A buddy of mine used to do a lot of fiberglass through too much contact with the resins etc he's become completely sensitized to the stuff and now and has to stay away from it completely or it'll give him some sort of fit.
So use a mask and gloves etc.

Once my dad ended up in hospital, the guy in the next bed had been respraying his car, in a garage he'd sealed off to stop dust getting in. With no respirator or ventilation of any sort a trip to the nuero ward was the result.

suparuss

posted on 26/2/07 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the tips. i probably should wear a dust mask all the time, i do have the door open and put the dust mask on when i blow all the dust off with the compressor.
but i definately wear the respirator for the resin and polyeurethane varnish which contains isocyanates.
dont want to die before the car is finished!

sgraber

posted on 26/2/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
That's starting to look very good. It should end up looking like this when it's done: 1,200 grit should do it.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 4/3/07 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Blimey thats coming on nicely. How are you going to deal with the ripples that are visible in this pic?

and again
and again

Lots of block sanding yet me thinks Are you marking the outline for the lights? - a scribe line will make things easier when the time comes to get the jigsaw out.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

suparuss

posted on 4/3/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Blimey thats coming on nicely. How are you going to deal with the ripples that are visible in this pic?

Lots and lots more sanding! and a bit more filling too it turns out. havent done a great deal this week what with working and all, but i think itll be smooth this time. the ripples are actually brush strokes because i didnt get some thinners so i cant spray the varnish on. i ought to have really but nevermind.
as for the lights i dont know exactly where the joint line will be now that ive glassed over them, but ill just cut a small hole on the final piece and work my way out untill it is the right shape.

cheers,

Russ.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.