Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative to iPod
donut

posted on 15/3/07 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Alternative to iPod

Looks like my iPod has given up the ghost so thats going back!!

Anyhoo i was wondering what would be a good alternative to the 30gig video iPod.

Any thoughts...

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
imp paul

posted on 15/3/07 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
try this

top stuff very good sound hope this helps http://www.creative.com/welcome.asp
pdw709

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've always been a big fan of the archos products.

http://www.archos.com/?country=global&lang=en

I'm on to my 2nd generation product and its great. Far cheaper/bigger memory than equivent IPod and, importantly for me, you are not tied into ITunes. Its also not as ubiquitous, which in my mind makes it a winner!

Phil

donut

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest i'm not fussed about video at all but want at least 30Gig.

I was thinking Creative as they seem to be the most popular therefore most support and add ons.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 15/3/07 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Having owned both Creative and Apple

I am sticking with my ipod...

Get a new 6g ipod 30gig..

My Zen was constantly locking up it drove me nuts.. Had to do hard reset all the time because the controls stopped working and couldnt turn it off...

Ipod's arent perfect, but they are by far the best of the bunch...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

02GF74

posted on 15/3/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'd recommend one of these:

but it doesn;t meet your 30 GB requirement having only 20 GB.

The later motdels support mp3, my one only deos ATRAC

Tralfaz

posted on 15/3/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Forget Itunes. I spent the $25 and got Anapod explorer.

T

Benzine

posted on 15/3/07 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Cowon ftw
Lurch88

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I was chatting to the van driver who came to pick up my wifes ipod ,for the second time(Bought a creative Zen now the ipod has died)
and he said that ipods were lasting between 3-6 months on average!

Style over substance?

I do wonder if the technology has been perfected yet?

jimgiblett

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lurch88

I must have been lucky my ebay source 30GB Ipod has been fine for over 2yrs. Not sure whether the battery life shouldn't be better but it hasnt worsened.

- Jim

donut

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lurch88
I was chatting to the van driver who came to pick up my wifes ipod ,for the second time(Bought a creative Zen now the ipod has died)

Style over substance?

I do wonder if the technology has been perfected yet?
I have heard this and as my brother once said, "People buy them because they look cool"

I think i'm going to go for a Creative zen 30Gig jobby!

Andy

Tralfaz

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
We have had 3 of the traditional types 1st lasted 2 years in an abusive environment and the other two are at least that old, though one doesn't charge well anymore so is dedicated to plug in car use.

T

James

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Looks like my iPod has given up the ghost so thats going back!!

Using it so much down the gym and when out running and stuff has probably damaged it....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

donut

posted on 15/3/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
That's right James, i mean all that exercise can't do it much good eh! We can't all look Buff without something having to suffer.

Oh the woe's of being a stud muffin

Andy

davie dickson

posted on 15/3/07 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I got a 20gig Creative Zen Micro from Hong kong via ebay. Its slightly bigger than the uk zen micro (6gig) and it has been an absolute champion.
Never failed, been dropped a few times with no damage, not scratched and the battery life is way better than any of my friends Ipods.
I had it on shuffle for about 4 hours yesterday and its still got plenty juice left this morning.

trogdor

posted on 15/3/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
i still love my mini disk player, its battery will last for about 80 hours which is bloody brill! admittally it isnt as cool as an ipod etc but if i had one of those i would only worry about it.

James

posted on 15/3/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
i still love my mini disk player, its battery will last for about 80 hours which is bloody brill! admittally it isnt as cool as an ipod etc but if i had one of those i would only worry about it.

My MD player cost something daft like £250 on my 21st b'day so I guess it's nearly 8 years old now. It's still the coolest piece of anodised ali' that I own!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

greggors84

posted on 15/3/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 30gb Video ipod and havent had any problems with it after about a year. My brother has had a 2nd gen one since they came out and no probs with that except the battery life has started to go down. Which isnt bad after so many years and they can be replaced.

I tried alot of other mp3 players, the new sony one and the philips one mainly. But none of them are as easy to use as the Ipod. The interface looks so good and is so easy to use. I found the others a bit hard to find tracks, the scroll wheel really helps too.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Jasper

posted on 15/3/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dad has a Creative - don't like it and the software is horrible. Much prefer the functionality of my iPod. Nothing to do with style - just easier and nicer to use.

I would buy another one if this gives up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.