Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modified Pinto rocker cover problem
nick205

posted on 15/3/07 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Modified Pinto rocker cover problem

I've had my Pinto rocker cover modified to move the filler to the rear face, but it now seems to leak oil out of the filler cap. At first I blamed the O ring on the oil filler cap taken from the donor, but have replaced it and still the same problem.

The filler neck is very short and at an angle which puts the filler cap below the top face of the rocker cover. Could the oil level in the rocker cover be getting high enough to overflow? Surely the cam and followers would be submerged?

The filler cap is vented through steel wool, but could it be pressure in the rocker cover forcing oil out?

I thought about fitting filler cap with a vent take off plumbed to the inlet manifiold, but I suspect I'd just end up just the excess oil off.

Or is it just a case of extending the filler neck to move the cap above the height of the rocker cover?

Any thoughts please?

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/3/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
The atmosphere inside the upper engine when running is a dense oil mist, I used a curved piece of pipe to make the filler vertical, also the hole cut in the cover is much less than the diameter of the pipe. Sierra primary down pipes are EXACTLY the right size to make this curve, just weld the removed filler tube to the end of a bit. Rescued attachment Mod Rocker.jpg
Rescued attachment Mod Rocker.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

nick205

posted on 15/3/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
just the sort of answer required - thanks Mark!
jacko

posted on 15/3/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi you could remove the wire wool from the top and plug the top so no oil can get through it . Then remove the one way valve on the sump breather and put the pipe end in a oil catch tank
if you do a serch there is a link about this from Mookaloid
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Jacko - I've already got the crankcase valve plumbed into the inlet manifold to re-circulate the gasses etc. (standard Pinto inlet manifold, not DCOE etc).

I guess I could use a filler cap with a take off and run that into a catch tank.

I'll probably have another go at modifying the rocker cover like Mark's above though.

caber

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Did you put a splash plate over the botom of your filler pipe? The original filler had one so you may need the same to stop the cam throwing oil up and out of your filler. if this is happening the mesh filter will be very oily and probably not pass much gas.

Best of luck

Caber

jacko

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but if you remove the VALVEand put the pipe end in a tank you can block the filler top mookaloid has a link about this by Dave andrews i think his name is
Jacko

[Edited on 15/3/07 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.