Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ATV front differential - suitability for small bec?
sgraber

posted on 16/3/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
ATV front differential - suitability for small bec?

The front differential shown below is from an 800cc ATV. It is a torque sensing differential with full-lockup capability and 3.6:1 ratio.

The quad weighs over 800Lbs and can carry 2 adult passengers, two racks full of gear and tow 1,500Lbs of trailer (don't know the tongue weight) ...

I wonder how much power these units can handle? Suitability for Street use with a 3.6 ratio? Other quad differentials that might be more suitable? I don't know much about these units.

Notice the bevel gearing is not hypoid, making it suitable (I believe) for running reverse rotation shaft drive engines.
I don't know why I am always thinking about this silly shaft drive /reverse rotation issue! But I am, so humor me with some gentle banter!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aeroluke

posted on 16/3/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
No experience personally but I think Formula SAE teams sometimes use ATV diffs for their 600cc bike engines. Have a rummage around the forums:
http://fsae.com/groupee?cdra=Y&s=763607348

hillbillyracer

posted on 16/3/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I work on ATVs quite a bit & cant recall a front diff failure that wasnt the result of neglect or abuse (not that I dont see any failing, it's just that they get neglected & abused a fair bit )
But the loads on the front diff aint all that high, 90% of the time it isnt working all that hard at all. The other thing is it's not common for them to clock massive milages, I cant recall seeing one with much over 30k & most do far less than that so how one will stand up to the load of hauling 5-600kg constantly I'm not sure but mabye worth a look.
Dont consider a Polaris one though, they have a hilliard roller system so that it only drives when the rear wheels turn faster than the fronts.

Ivan

posted on 16/3/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like a cool option that might be well worth while pursuing if readily available at a reasonable price as it must surely cut quiet a lot of weight out of a BEC - although you might be pushing the torque limit safety factor a bit.

I wonder how the Bussa torque level compares to a 800cc ATV - I should think fairly closely becaus the ATV motor is most probably a low reving high torque motor.

One would also have to check torque multiplication in the lower gears.

sgraber

posted on 16/3/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
That FSAE link was a good one. Lots of good data there. This thread in particular was good for me.

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/35510440821/p/1

G.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
akrallysport

posted on 1/4/07 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
yes, but in FSAE we're typically only running 70hp/50ft-lb at the wheels due to our 19 or 20 mm restrictor in a sub 500lb car, so you may be running at the absolute limit of what an ATV diff is capable of. We erred on the safe side with our FSAE project a few years ago and went with a Civic-based Quaife, which we promptly disassembled and machined a 7075-Alu casing to drop the weight by half.

rpmagazine

posted on 1/4/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
why not just use a diff from a small light 4wd? The drive ratio will be reasonable and it will be a lot tougher. Suzuki Jimny etc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.