Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1300x Flow - K Series
cm

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
1300x Flow - K Series

Hi All,

Following on from my earlier post 1300cc > Zetec, I have decided to go back to the k series because of the pure love for i. Previous car's being tuned rovers and my history with rovertech online and these engines in particular I know alot about.

Anyway I have bought a caterham stainless manifold, alloy bellhousing to take a type 9, and also a caterham wet sump to give a bit more ground clearance.

I can source an engine fairly easily, might just go for a 1400 or 1600 as I can get a low milage one <10k for only £250!!

Anyway, I think I have most parts and have a good idea about how these go together.

Couple thing's out of my experience tho.

> Power stearing, what can I do to bin this, it wont be needed sowill I have to make a blanking plate?

> The hard bit! ecu & wiring! now I can get an engine with a ecu and engine wiring loom but I am going to be lost from there, could I basically lift the ecu engine loom and plant it to the locost, what further wiring would be needed, obviously ignition and dash stuff, how could I pick these off the ecu. This is where I would become stuck!

>The clutch, which set-up can I use here to attach everything sweet? Also I presume I would need a sierra type 9 but what diff would I need as I currently dont know what I have, capri rear axle with 1300cc xflow?

> Finally mounts, I can get these fabricated but with the engine being mounted the wrong way, i.e facing the rear, where would I attach to on the engine.

Any help would be apriciated as this is now a real project, having spent £400 on the bell housing, sump and manifold.

Cheers All
Ian

[Edited on 19/3/07 by cm]

bilbo

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently planning on using a Rover T series in my build. I have the full loom, ecu etc from the engine donor (620Ti) which I plan to splice up and use as the whole loom for the locost. The later MEMs system I have has lots of security bits and bobs, so I'm pretty much resigned to using the whole car loom, but I think the earlier mems systems are much easier to plumb in?

Alternativlty, you could look at after market ECUs or Megasquirt as these would probably make life a bit simpler - there are plenty of people on here who can help you with that.

Or failing that, you could always stick some carbs on instead (if the car is post SVA that is?)

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

UncleFista

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I know the immobilser can be problematic on these engines, I'm sure there's a couple of LBers with K-series fitted, hopefully one will turn up soon.

If it was me, I'd go Carbs & megajolt, or even megasquirt, I'd prefer to start from scratch rather than sit in front of a huge jumbled loom pulling my hair out

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Humbug

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
If you havea look in my photo archive you can see a few pics of the engine, etc. I had mounts made up, and they fix to some handy threaded holes on what are the sides of the block in the new north-south orientation.

If you are getting a low mileage engine, it's probably like mine with the full ECU gubbins. For simplicity, I stuck with the standard ECU, immobiliser and intake manifold, but I had to get an auto electricion to do the wiring for me.

Mine's a 1400 and I used the standard flywheel, with a clutch (Rover, I think), spigot bearing etc. from Fisher Sportscars. They also provided the bellhousing and clutch release arrm, but you've probably got those already.

I also used the standard sump which means that combined with using the standard intake manifold and the ST low bonnet, I had to raise the nose a bit and still have a small bonnet scoop.

Also try GeoffT - he did a Xflow to K-series conversion, though he's got throttle bodies on his.

Good luck

stevebubs

posted on 19/3/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you use the existing loom then the Emerald is plug-compatible with the K-Series ECU....literally unplug old one and plug in new one.
britishtrident

posted on 19/3/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a complete running car use as much of the loom as possible, then at a later date you can put a newer or bigger engine in.

Metro GTI had the simplest security system 75 1.8 the most difficult to make matters more complex as the MEMS system developed other systems were tied into such as ABS and body control computers (BCU). So I would stick to mid/late 90s car with MEMS 1.9. say a 214SEi.

The security system can be got round using this

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=58509

Pezza

posted on 19/3/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
No need for a blanking plate for the power steering pump, it just bolts on to the block with a belt to the pulley.
At least it was on the 1400 I just swapped.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

SaveTheDodo

posted on 19/3/07 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi cm,

Have you remembered that 1.4 & 1.6 litre engines need a hole drilled in the end of the crank for the spigot bearing?? Its not the easiest thing in the world to do!!

Cheers

Andrew

Humbug

posted on 19/3/07 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pezza
No need for a blanking plate for the power steering pump, it just bolts on to the block with a belt to the pulley.
At least it was on the 1400 I just swapped.

Agreed - that's what I did with my 1400

Humbug

posted on 19/3/07 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaveTheDodo
Hi cm,

Have you remembered that 1.4 & 1.6 litre engines need a hole drilled in the end of the crank for the spigot bearing?? Its not the easiest thing in the world to do!!

Cheers

On my 1.4 I got a bush thingy from Fisher Sportscars to go on the end of the gearbox shaft - I was told that was the spigot bearing. Anyway, with that on, the shaft just slipped into the hole in the engine (technical term ). No drilling required

GeoffT

posted on 20/3/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I copped out of the ECU problems by taking the megasquirt route - this presents a whole new set of challenges of course, but satisfying when you finally get it all up and running sweetly.

If you're using the Caterham bellhousing you'll probably find that a standard type 9 input shaft is about an inch too short. I didn't know about the extension piece mentioned by Simon (Humbug), and ended up using a V6 type 9 (longer shaft), had to trim about 10mm from the shaft for it all to fit.

You'll find the clutch from an early Sierra (23 spline 190mm, 82-84ish) is a perfect fit onto the Rover 10" flywheel, you may also find that you need the deeper Capri release bearing (CCT133) to get the release arm in the right place.

Good luck! Geoff.

britishtrident

posted on 20/3/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add the MEMS unit plugs changed on later versions, so you can't just swop in a later engine and ECU.

Personally I would magasquirt.

MikeRJ

posted on 20/3/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HumbugOn my 1.4 I got a bush thingy from Fisher Sportscars to go on the end of the gearbox shaft - I was told that was the spigot bearing. Anyway, with that on, the shaft just slipped into the hole in the engine (technical term ). No drilling required

The spigot bush/bearing should be a tight fit in the end of the crank, you would normaly have to use a suitable drift and hammer to get it in. Everything I have read suggests the end of the cranks on the 1.4s and 1.6s needs drilling, did you engine come from a FWD donor car?

Humbug

posted on 26/3/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by HumbugOn my 1.4 I got a bush thingy from Fisher Sportscars to go on the end of the gearbox shaft - I was told that was the spigot bearing. Anyway, with that on, the shaft just slipped into the hole in the engine (technical term ). No drilling required

The spigot bush/bearing should be a tight fit in the end of the crank, you would normaly have to use a suitable drift and hammer to get it in. Everything I have read suggests the end of the cranks on the 1.4s and 1.6s needs drilling, did you engine come from a FWD donor car?

Yes, from a Rover 25. The alloy bellhousing came from Fisher, and the thing that was described to me as a spigot bearing was like a ring that fitted fairly tightly on the end of the Type 9 input shaft. When fitted, the shaft then sits nicely in the hole in the engine (). Again, as said, no drilling required.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.