Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gearboxes
Julian B

posted on 22/3/07 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
gearboxes

Hi All

Before i built my 7 clone that i have just finnished i was going to build a v8 powered mid engine "somthing". I keep coming back to the lovely GD Lola T70 replica , but its way out of my price bracket.
So i have decided to do the whole thing myself this time.

My starting point before i get to chassis design will be the power plant . I am going with the trusted Rv8 but i intend to turbocharge it taking the power output upto about 350bhp

My question is this where do i obtain info on suitable gearboxes. I know that i can purchase a race spec hewland box and i know the the renault UN1 can be used but i dont think the renault will take the power. Does this only leave porche and audi? If so where do i get them from?

Many thanks

Fred W B

posted on 22/3/07 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Best place on the net I've found for transaxle info is an America site called

www.gt40s.com

Wade through the "engine and transaxle" section. .

The "web wisdom" I have seen says the usual Audi 016 is a bit suspect once you get up to +/- 350, but I can't really be more specific than that.

See some discussion HERE

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 22/3/07 by Fred W B]

cymtriks

posted on 22/3/07 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Audi or Porsche

The UN1 is fine if you can find one!

At the power level you are aiming at the Audi will be at it's limit.

The Rover V8 is not light weight by todays standards, it's actually only very slightly less weight than the much more powerful, and more tuneable LS1. LS1 to Porsche is a fairly well known combination so it be easier to start here.

There's also the Lexus V8 engine which is very tunable.

v8kid

posted on 22/3/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
its quite tricky to mate the rv8 to the uni. you need an 18mm adaptor plate to bolt the bellhousing to the block. this makes the box input shaft short so you have to extend the input shaft spiggot to support it. the uni bellhousing is too small for the rover flywheel so you need a smaller dia fly which is no bad thing cos its too heavy for a sports car anyhow. you now needan offset starter to line up with the new fly. as if that aint enough even using ap nested plates in a twin plate clutch the splines dont fully engage anf you need to machine 5mm off the bellhousing. there aint much room for release hydraulics even with the most compact one you have to grind the max off the back.
then theres the gearchange.
handles power no prob hewland costs 15k plus so no competition.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 22/3/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
its quite tricky to mate the rv8 to the uni. you need an 18mm adaptor plate to bolt the bellhousing to the block. this makes the box input shaft short so you have to extend the input shaft spiggot to support it. the uni bellhousing is too small for the rover flywheel so you need a smaller dia fly which is no bad thing cos its too heavy for a sports car anyhow. you now needan offset starter to line up with the new fly. as if that aint enough even using ap nested plates in a twin plate clutch the splines dont fully engage anf you need to machine 5mm off the bellhousing. there aint much room for release hydraulics even with the most compact one you have to grind the max off the back.
then theres the gearchange.
handles power no prob hewland costs 15k plus so no competition.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gttman

posted on 22/3/07 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
buy an Audi V8 with a manual box.... if you get a later engine it will have over 300bhp as std and then get a modern A6 tdi fwd box (handles 4-500bhp).... whole lot bolts together for a lot less than almost any other solution with that kind of power..

Its also much lighter and very short, although its a wide engine.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

goodall

posted on 22/3/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
i have the workshop manual for the audi 100/200 and it says that all uk models with a 5 pot engine have the 016 gearbox but the book i have for the audi 80/90/coupe says that it was never fitted with the 016 so if you want the 016 box find an audi 100 with the 5 in it, i have one already but its not for sale
Julian B

posted on 22/3/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info

Can i just ask what the Lotus Esprit used to us. Wasn't that a RV8?

I would do as you said about the Audi V8 but the idea is to spend a moderate amount over a fairly long build period. Rover v8 engine parts are still dirt cheap and readilly available I know how extortionate Audi prices are having owned a few.

The Audi 100 gearbox however looks interesting but is this as difficult to get hold of as the UN1?

Cheers again , its all very interesting stuff

goodall

posted on 22/3/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
i'd say the audi box will be a very simple to find, you can buy old audi 100's for next to nothing. its the same box as that used in the 924 and 944 if i remember right

the esprit used a un1 and one the things that stop its production was the end in supply of the un1 gearbox

locost_bryan

posted on 23/3/07 at 04:30 AM Reply With Quote
The Lotus Esprit used the Lotus 907 2.2l slant-4 for most of it's life. Then Lotus joined 2 together to make their own V8 - that went in the later cars.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

gttman

posted on 24/3/07 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
380bhp with box for £1k....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-RS4-engine-gear-box-gearbox-2-7liter-bi-turbo_W0QQitemZ280096874883QQcategoryZ9888QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You'd need to check this is the right Audi box that can handle the kind of power (you need the deisel one I beleive)...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/audi-a4-6-speed-manual-gearbox_W0QQitemZ160098190805QQcategoryZ10372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[Edited on 24/3/07 by gttman]

Andygtt

Julian B

posted on 24/3/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

Yes i am watching the 01X box on ebay but i dont know if its any good, as its not what i understand to be the prefered 01E box. I'll keep an eye on it though and maybe take a chance

Cheers again

goodall

posted on 24/3/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
thats a quattro box and engine that ebay link
gttman

posted on 25/3/07 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
yep its a 4wd box with the engine.... thats why I put that other box up, as you can sell the 4wd box that comes with the engine and buy this 2wd unit to use which should just bolt up.

Andygtt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.