Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why did I bother (dry sump)!
Dave Bailey

posted on 26/3/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why did I bother (dry sump)!

Decided to go dry sump basically because I could but the problem is now where to fit the tank. Managed to get an unused kit for less than a cast wet sump and thought what the hell might be worthwhile. Anyway Pace tell me that I need a tank for about 7 litres of oil for a 2.0 Zetec. Anyone fitted a dry sump tank on a 2.0 and if so what size tank?, where is it fitted? and got any pictures?

thanks
Dave B.

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've looked at this system to but ruled it out as simply not worth the bother.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 26/3/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,

Hicost has one on his 2.0 Cosworth so it may be worth a u2u to him.

All I know is his is in the boot and it fills the area above the rear axle.

I'm sure it cost a bloody fortune!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 26/3/07 by James]

[Edited on 27/3/07 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Dave Bailey

posted on 26/3/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers James......

I'll have a chat with him.

thanks
Dave B

procomp

posted on 27/3/07 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi most people when fitting a dry sump tank in to a seven type car usually put it in the passenger footwell.

And seven(ish) litres is right remembering the tank is not full to the top.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 27/3/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not expert on this so don;t take thisw as bible but you can increase the oil capacity by fitting an oil cooler - not a lont but I cannot see why you cannot plumb in a smaller tank, 1-2 litres in line with the oil cooler or use a very big diameter tube in line.

my question is will having an in-line tank advdsersely affect oil flow for cooling? you can imaging the oil taking the most direct route i.e. though the centre of the tank leaving oil near the edges of the tank stationary but even so, the hotter central oil will go to the cooler so doesn't matter.... I think???????

dilley

posted on 27/3/07 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
oil cooler goes before the return to the tank. I fitted my tank behind the rad, pics in my archive, Its worth speaking to pace products in Haverhill, ask for Neil.
mark chandler

posted on 27/3/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that a catch tank needs to hold a minimum of 30% more oil than the original sump, it needs an air gap at the top so it will be big.

It should have a minimum of two horizontal baffles and the oil is introduced at and angle at the top to promote swill so yes, you will need a big tank, and it should be tall and thin and round.

Best google it then get welding or face a huge bill, passenger footwell reaching into the scuttle sounds like a good way to go to me.

You need to think about levels a well, it must raise the oil level on start up to prime the scavange pump so this needs to be thought about also, nice low pump mounting !

Regards Mark

[Edited on 27/3/07 by mark chandler]

turbospud

posted on 31/3/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
is the oil tank in the footwell allowable,does it need to be double skined
gazza285

posted on 8/4/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Put mine in front of the engine.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.