Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help, i need some career advice
FlansS14

posted on 29/3/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
help, i need some career advice

Ok so totally off topic but I need some advice. Basically I’ve been stuck in my job for 2years now. (Technical telesales for a Bicycle distribution company). and need to find a career. I love working on cars and worked for Vauxhall for a while but after finding out the top guy was only on 18k I thought better of it. I do not have any skill’s or engineering qualifications on paper but I have build many projects including an Audi TT powered Clio (in this months ppc) using skills I have picked up from my dad and along the way. I also fix cars on the weekend for an extra income.

Im now stuck on what to do next as the window of opportunity is closing, im 23. Should I pick a career that pays well and do what I love on the weekend or go down the tuning car route as a job. I would love to do custom engine conversions as a job but will there always be a market for it.

Any tips or advice would be greatly received.

Stuart

Why didn't i just make it simple!

Ivan

posted on 29/3/07 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
At the risk of being flip - find something you love doing, start a business to do it with and do it twice as well as anyone else.

What you charge doesn't matter as much as how well you do it - there's always the rich who will pay a premium for image, quality and reliability from the service provider - just meet those needs and you will succeed.

[Edited on 29/3/07 by Ivan]

Keith Weiland

posted on 29/3/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
If you can do something which you would do even if you weren't getting paid then do that.

You spend more time at work than anything else except sleep so the first thing is to do something you enjoy doing not just something you can tolerate.

I wouldn't worry too much about money if its enough to get you by and you are not too concerned about material things.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
westcost1

posted on 29/3/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
my bro makes 22k doing strip and fit at an accident repair place! 18k wouldn’t get me out of bed.

Im a material girl

[Edited on 29/3/07 by westcost1

[Edited on 29/3/07 by westcost1]

eagle

posted on 29/3/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Have a go your only 23
Do it before you have to many commitments
Better than looking back and saying what if!!!!!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/07 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Although nothing to do with cars and this is not meant solely for you but to the others also in the same situation.

There is a great shortage of engineering planners (I’m down 3 right now and struggling to get some more) and at your age you should be able to get a trainee position even if you have no paper qualifications. If your read up on the subject and showed that you have an eng interest you stand a very good chance of getting started.

The computer packages we use are primarily are Primavera & good old excel both you can go on courses and get books on easily.

Trainee's average 25k up here

Project planners 40 k

and senior planners are at least 500 a day. That is a sh!t load for such an easy job…

I seem to spend most of my time now training folk who then bugger off for more money….quite annoying.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pathfinder

posted on 29/3/07 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I’m the same age and in the same predicament, two years out of uni and I’m already living for the weekends!

p.s. Mr Whippy, I will come work for you, what kind of work do you do?

[Edited on 29/3/07 by pathfinder]

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/07 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Eng offshore planning, basically I look after getting the engineering work done on 4 of the many platforms up here. It's busy but not that difficult job and mostly consists of creating/maintaining the plans, going to meetings about the offshore work and working with the engineers to see what they want to do and then scheduling it all so it fits in with the other jobs on the platforms. Unfortunately I seem to have a knack for training people so that’s also my role. I’ve been doing planning for oh 6 year in total now with a big break in the middle to do some engineering design jobs and then a 2 ½ year stint driving city busses!! just cos I fancied a go, which was good fun.

[Edited on 29/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

westcost1

posted on 29/3/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ok mr whippy im in to 25k and its a deal. How much do you pay cad engineers?
ProjectX

posted on 29/3/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Remember

"It's better to regret something you HAVE done
than regret something you HAVEN'T"

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/07 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westcost1
Ok mr whippy im in to 25k and its a deal. How much do you pay cad engineers?

we pay the engineers? I thought food and shelter where more than enough

We have loads of cad guys doing the pipespools, I use to be one of them a long time ago using autocad. Loved it

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/07 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectX
Remember

"It's better to regret something you HAVE done
than regret something you HAVEN'T"

Hmm not sure I agree, after some rubbish attempts at asking girls out...I’ve thought to myself 'Damn I wish I hadn't done that!'

[Edited on 29/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

TangoMan

posted on 29/3/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
FlansS14,

Where are you based??

You just never know when a fellow locoster might be looking to recruit some semi skilled technicians and trainees

Summer's here!!!!

oadamo

posted on 29/3/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
all the money might be nice but ive just left a job i was getting 25k for a manager for an engineering company. i had next to no life. to many hours at work no time with the kids or for my projects. the job i have now is so easy i go to work come home and forget about work.its lass money but and i dont have to work weekends and take s*** everyday. so it all depends on what you want out of life
adam

Aboardman

posted on 29/3/07 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
all the money might be nice but ive just left a job i was getting 25k for a manager for an engineering company. i had next to no life. to many hours at work no time with the kids or for my projects. the job i have now is so easy i go to work come home and forget about work.its lass money but and i dont have to work weekends and take s*** everyday. so it all depends on what you want out of life
adam

I agree i used to work in manchester drawing conservatories and earned over 35k per year with bonus (but then again i worked hard and i produced nearly 50% of all the drawings in a team of 4).

i now work local on just over half the wages, have a better life apart from the things money could buy, but i am home in half hour, i still get up early but to go the gym instead of driving to work. i am home before 6 instead of 8.

and i am generally happier (apart from missing 2 holidays a year)

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/3/07 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Totally agree. I have walked out of jobs regardless of the money purely because I did not enjoy them or felt I was being taken advantage off. When I worked for Weatherford I was working 6 days a week 12 hours a day and only getting paid for 7 hrs! and no over time for the weekend When I asked for a raise they said no so the next day I didn't come back.

FlansS14

posted on 30/3/07 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

Im baised in Leighton Buzzard which is close to Milton Keynes, Luton, Dunstable

Mr Whippy your job sounds very good. It sounds like you'll have a Trainee waiting list at this rate.

I’d love to get back into engineering, I worked for Vauxhall for a short while but there’s no satisfaction being a parts fitter”
Im a very hands on kinda person and if its something I love ill always put in more time and effort.

I was thinking of starting a company doing on-off engine conversions but to that I could do with being able to Weld so maybe my firs step should be to get a skill under my belt.

Although at moment there are so many options in my head its unreal

Why didn't i just make it simple!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.