Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have I killed it? (Fireblade clutch)
ReMan

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Have I killed it? (Fireblade clutch)

Last weekend I was trying out my new Veypor datalogger toy.
It's got automatic 0-60 timing, so I took it to a friends private road and did a half a dozen test runs, got a 5.1 sec 0-60, not great, but not a bad start for a slightly lardy car, with an even lardier me so 600Kg total and an untuned 1992 37000 mile 893 engine.
Drove a bit more, then home perfectly normally.
Filled up with oil yesterday, took it out and now I've got clutch slip in the higher gears when it hits powerband.
I've always overfilled sligtly, without any problem, I'm using Duckams 10-40 "synthetic based" oil and have heavy duty spings in an otherwise normal clutch
So what do you reckon, have I fried it or is it coincidence?
Do I sit it out until the oil level drops and hope it gets better, or do I strip it and check it and emery the plates, or do I get some new plates ordered and if so which ones or do I empty this oil and get some more "bike specific oil" in a hope it may cure it?
Cheers
Col

graememk

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
i might be talking pony and if so ignore but i didnt think you should use synthetic oil as it makes the clutch slip.

Guinness

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'll second that, I wouldn't use anything other than bike oil in a BEC. I have run both synthetic and semi synthetic in mine with no clutch slip problems, but always bike specific oil.

Assuming that you have filled up with car oil, warm it through, drain it off and re-fill with bike oil (if I was you)

Mike

Edited to say I have a Veypor too! I like the VMax recall!

[Edited on 1/4/07 by Guinness]

zxrlocost

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
you cant use car oil in a Motorbike engine you will get clutch slip

Motorbile oil is a totally different thing and is designed for the wet clutch etc

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ReMan

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, it's difficult to know what's "bike specific" though other than the fact that it's sold at bike shops at twice the price for 1/2 the quantity.
Being a badass brit biker for years I've put any old muck in my bikes with no problems. (Though some have seperate clutch oil)
The Honda book just says 10-40, no mention of synthetic or semi.
I thought the advice was semi synthetic, which is why I bought this, but I guess that the Duckhams "synthetic based" is perhaps a load of marketing shite?
So is 10-40 not 10-40?

[Edited on 1/4/07 by ReMan]

ReMan

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness

Mike

Edited to say I have a Veypor too! I like the VMax recall!

[Edited on 1/4/07 by Guinness]

I like the Veypor to, suited me and It's got the fuel gauge, which I am calibrating today which should help my poor memory

mark chandler

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Car oils have extra friction reducers like molyslip..... and are now made for 12,000 service intervals.

I suspect you have goosed the driven plates as they are now covered in additives that do not exist in bike specific oils.

I get my bike oil from Halfords, they have a seperate selcetion fo bikes, both synth and non synth varieties.

zxrlocost

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
hi Mike its not anythindg to with grades or synthetics

Bike Oil is totally different to car oil in a way

basically if you put car oil in a superbike engine you will get clucth slip its something to do with the coating it leaves etc

you may have got away with it on older bikes but not on these ones

and sadly it is very expensive and only really available from bike shops

hope that helps

if you do a few google searches you will come up with the explained tech reasone BIG WHY NOT !!!!!!

thanks

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Guinness

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm calibrating my fuel computer too! But at the minute it's showing 15.6mpg. That can't be right, surely

Cheers

Mike

ReMan

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I'm calibrating my fuel computer too! But at the minute it's showing 15.6mpg. That can't be right, surely

Cheers

Mike

It could be , mine shows 9.8

ReMan

posted on 1/4/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
hi Mike its not anythindg to with grades or synthetics
Bike Oil is totally different to car oil in a way
basically if you put car oil in a superbike engine you will get clucth slip its something to do with the coating it leaves etc
you may have got away with it on older bikes but not on these ones
and sadly it is very expensive and only really available from bike shops
hope that helps
if you do a few google searches you will come up with the explained tech reasone BIG WHY NOT !!!!!!
thanks
chris

So it looks like I need to keep running it till the red oil light comes on and then fill it up with bike oil?
Seriously, I might empty it and refil with bike oil, get the cheapest I can first and try it. Perhaps a flush with it will fix it?
I really can't be arsed to strip it if I can help it.
When I fitted it in the car I filled with Motul? bike oil, used the whole can. I have been topping up with "normal" oil since though without any problem as it does use a bit, when worked hard
Perhaps the car/ bike ratio has beem exceeded?

zxrlocost

posted on 1/4/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
let it out and put some superbike oil in as your bike has a wet clutch...

do it a few times and it should wear away the remainder.

a Quote from the NET...
. If you own a bike with a wet clutch (ie. where the clutch sits partially submerged in the sump oil) and you dump car oil into it, all sorts of nasty things happen. Oils formulated for car engines have friction-modifiers in them. When the engine oil gets into the clutch, the friction-modifiers get to work and you'll end up with a clutch that won't bite. Bike oils generally don't have friction-modifiers, so they don't have this problem..

you need to flush your system by using bike oil a few times

hope that helps

Peteff

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
So the oil companies leave out the phosphorous, which is what they use as anti wear additives along with zinc, and charge you more for the privilege .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ReMan

posted on 2/4/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's got better!
And it may have been clutch adjustment, due to swollen plates.
I'll confirm when I take it out tommorrow

ReMan

posted on 9/4/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't the top drop down use this one, then the bottom use the bigger of the two and ignore th swingarm holeo? Rescued attachment bottommount2.jpg
Rescued attachment bottommount2.jpg

OX

posted on 9/4/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
stay off the beer ,wrong thread

ReMan

posted on 9/4/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Stella is my best friend

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.