Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing a stuck bolt with a captive nut?
tegwin

posted on 1/4/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Removing a stuck bolt with a captive nut?

Kinda annoyed...took everything off the wishbone on my tintop, got to the last bolt and can I move it?....hell no! (its the front bone pivot bolt)

Some fool (not me) has rounded the head off the bolt so no matter what I try, its not comming off!

Its done up really tight...the one the other side required a 5 foot pole on the spanner to shift it..

The problem is, its a captive nut inside the subframe so I cant just cut the end of the bolt off...

How can I get it out?.....How would a garage get it out if I pay them the earth to do it?

Either way, i think im going to need a new bolt...

RazMan

posted on 1/4/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
You could try heating it to red heat with a blowtorch and then trying it with a stilson spanner.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oadamo

posted on 1/4/07 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
dont no if this will help but sometimes i use my old scokets if its say a 17mm nut use a 5/8 socket and hammer it on most of the time it works lol or get a set of sockets with the six flat sides not the bumpy ones if you no what i mean lol
adam

tegwin

posted on 1/4/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I tried a socket with 6 flat sides and the bolt really is that far gone that it doesnt work....

Heating it up to red hot might work, but if the head of the bolt is that hot, its likley to shear off....leaving me with a wishbone pretty much perminantly stuck to the car

caber

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Garages would cut it off drill it and re tap! Try a big set of Stilsons on the mashed end with your 5' pipe. if you can get some heat into the nut, at best it will come free at the worst it will shear off so you are back to drilling and retapping!

Caber

oadamo

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
if you can get a jigsaw down the side in between wishbone and the bracket cut the fecker off pmsl
got any pics

[Edited on 1/4/07 by oadamo]

tegwin

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm...

If I cut if of..im going to have to drill and tap...

That would be a fecking mission!!! The sump of the engine would be in the way of the drill and tap handles...

hmm...could I weld a nut on it?...

oadamo

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
i had to do that to my alloy wheels cus i lost my locking nut i welded a16mm nut on.i filled the inside of the nut then got them off.but let them cool right down or they keep breaking off
adam

the_fbi

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
i had to do that to my alloy wheels cus i lost my locking nut i welded a16mm nut on

Been there done that!

Currently got a alloy wheel bolt remover socket stuck on my one of my wheels too. Need to weld a bar to it to yank it off as its flush with the wheel

Welding a nut on should work, but it'll need to be a good weld and as said, let it cool down totally before trying it else it'll be like butter.

Failing that, can you get a alloy wheel remover socket on there? Depending on the head size it may be able to grab, the good thing with them is the more force you put on, the more they grab. (although their threads aren't always that strong). Invest in a good quality one, preferably with a lifetime warranty so when you strip its thread you can take it back! (Halfords Pro range?)

Again, you may need to weld some extra metal to the head to give more area for the remover to grab on to.

ProjectX

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
so what is wrong with the reverse twisty nut remover things I got?

Will remove nuts/bolts that are completely round!

Link here http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/5-piece-bolt-grip-set-expansion-set/path/socket-sets-sockets-tool-sets/brand/irwin

These are the DB's and really do work! If you have an air impact wrench even better if not hit it on and go!

HTH J

tegwin

posted on 2/4/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm...that looks like a decent tool...might have to go get some!!

Does anyone have any idea what the bolt is likley to be for the front wishbone pivot?

Its a 17mm head so I assume its going to be M10, but whats the thread going to be....where is the best place to get a replacement bolt?

Chears

RazMan

posted on 2/4/07 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
To make absolutely sure before you break anything why not remove the other side, find a duplicate one, then hammer away

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 2/4/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
give it a good dose of plusgas while you're having a think about it too, all helps.

I'd try the weld on a nut thing, the heat may loosen things too.

ELO

posted on 2/4/07 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, the old fight...
Man vs rounded nut.

(as opposed to comparing man to a rounded nut )

Personally it's a fight I hate fighting but what a feeling when you win! Then you look around, expecting a standing avation, and all you see is the cat just staring at you with utter contempt.
Mind you, the cat's expression soon changes when they're not feed for a couple of meals!
ed

[Edited on 2/4/07 by ELO]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.