Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VAG 1.8T engine dimensions?
R1 STRIKER

posted on 2/4/07 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
VAG 1.8T engine dimensions?

Anybody know the dimensions of this engine? In particular the height?

Ben.

AlphaX

posted on 2/4/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
hi, 63 cm high, 30cm wide and 48cm long (back of cylinderhead to front timingbelt-cover). The engine block itself is a few cm shorter.

Alphax

R1 STRIKER

posted on 2/4/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Alphax. Don't suppose you have any pics of it in a seven? Trying to decide if it will fit in a striker. I know it's going to be tight. Have got a scrap engine on the way to try but won't be here for a while. Out of interest how much are you charging for the 225 bhp engine? Engine code BAM.

Thanks

Ben.

AlphaX

posted on 3/4/07 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ben,
the 225-setup costs 2500 euro's ex 19% VAT
the 180-setup costs 1750 euro's ex 19% VAT.
The 225's are pretty hard to come by. The 180 are in stock. the engines come complete with trubo, inlet, throttle valve (DBW), hoses, stoch wiring loom etc. With a stand alone management you can get around 210 from a 180-setup. If you swap to a turbo of a 225 (K-04 you can get 240-250.
I've attached some pictures of a build in a Rush we're doing now. The angle of the throttle is not favorable for us kitcars. We're working on our own intake manifold to make it easier.

http://www.alphax-kitcars.com/drukgroep%20013.jpg

http://www.alphax-kitcars.com/drukgroep%20014.jpg

http://www.alphax-kitcars.com/drukgroep%20015.jpg

http://www.alphax-kitcars.com/20vt_2.jpg

tks

posted on 3/4/07 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
wich gearbox is used??

Ford??

can it handle the power??

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

DIY Si

posted on 3/4/07 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
It's the MT75, using AlphaX's adapter plate. Capable of 300 bhp reliably, so should handle a 1.8T with relative ease. They used to sit behind 2.9 V6s, so torque won't be an issue either.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

R1 STRIKER

posted on 3/4/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pics Alphax. Looks good. I'm beginning to think it might be a bit tight in a striker. Being right hand drive, my steering will be just where that nice turbo manifold is! What is going to be different about your new inlet manifold? Are you using a standard sump? I think that might be my biggest problem. Could do with losing a couple of inches off the height.

Ben.

AlphaX

posted on 3/4/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
the mt-75 gearbox will def hold the power. The main difference in a new inlet will be the width and the angle of the throttle valve. It is pointed away from the engine now, towards the OS front wheel. Ether straight on the main house or at an inward angle similar to the chassis would be ideal. We're thinking of that direction.
The height it pretty much set on this engine. The oil-pump is inside the oilpan, connected by a chain to the crackshaft. Removing the oilpump will unbalance the crackshaft. I haven't seen a dry sump kit for this engine yet.
righthand drive is a bit more tricky with this engine, but it also depends on where you put which engine. Normally, on the 150 and 180bhp setups, there is a K03 trubo on the second cylinder (flywheel side). The K04 from the 225 setup is on the first cylinder, but further away from the engine. Some K03's were on the 3thd cylinder, and some K04's (those from longi-placed engines like passat) were between cylinder 3 and 4. So there is a whole variety of combinations, and im sure a few will let you fit in a steering shaft.

Alphax

AlphaX

posted on 18/4/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Ben,
had a chat with Mel from Raw over the weekend at the Detling show. He assured me this engine will a Striker. The height shouldnt be a problem, and with a few rosejoints you can let the steering go around the turbo.
Cheers
Alphax

Simon

posted on 19/4/07 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
AlphaX - were you the guys that had the Audi/MT75 combo on your stand at Detling?

Really neat engine/box combo. It's tiny, just not quite enough cylinders for me

I'd seriously consider that set up in a front engine/rwd mini

ATB

Simon

AlphaX

posted on 19/4/07 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, we were those guys on th Detling show. it was a really nice show this year.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.