Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine suggestion
rebelrider

posted on 7/4/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
engine suggestion

to keep boredom at bay the summer im goin to make one of these just looking for some suggestions on car engines what do you think ?

[Edited on 7/4/07 by rebelrider]

Alfa145

posted on 7/4/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa V6
SeaBass

posted on 7/4/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Almost all of these are VW aircooled as I'm sure you know. The best of the bunch is the "twin-port". You could also use a 911 engine if you were flush.

Cheers

rebelrider

posted on 7/4/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
im goin to sva it hopefully
big_wasa

posted on 7/4/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Give us another link asI can not see anything ?
rebelrider

posted on 7/4/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
dune buggy try this its the third car down on the page

SeaBass

posted on 7/4/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rebelrider
im goin to sva it hopefully

Good luck...

big_wasa

posted on 7/4/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I like them alot.
I am a bit of a speed freek and have looked at a Blitz KR2.

big_wasa

posted on 7/4/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engine with chain drive diff.
BenB

posted on 7/4/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I fancy getting a Bedford Rascal, dropping it quite severely then putting a R1 engine in it mid-enginned stylee... Reckon it could be quite good fun....

Not sure the Rascal suspension would handle it so it would probably need a fair bit of work and end up like the Ford Supervan 2 (or whatever it was) that (if PPC is to be believed )was a F1 car with a transit bodyshell....

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/4/07 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
just chuck a 2ltr camper engine it, will scare the pants of you. wait till you try and go round a corner I bet you end up going backwards oh yes I've been in them before, fab!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
akumabito

posted on 8/4/07 at 04:56 AM Reply With Quote
Love 'm. But indeed, cornering can be quite 'interesting' if you have a big heavy engine sticking out the back. I suggest that you keep the VW beetle transmission, but mate it to a BMW 2-cilinder boxer engine. Lightweight and small, quite sexy looking (also important, since the engine is exposed!) and it'll give you anywhere between 80 and 120 Hp as stock, which should be plenty, since the whole thing weighs next to nothing...

Other then that: lol, sva!
Good luck..

[Edited on 8/4/07 by akumabito]

Doug68

posted on 8/4/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
A guy I work with in the states used a 3.0 flat six Subaru engine, running on alcohol in his sand rail.

I'd think on pump gas it would be able to move you along at reasonable speed too

akumabito

posted on 8/4/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
There's some crazy sandrails over in the States. I like the website of Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators. (chrfab.com) They race-prepare the Cadillac Northstar engines for use in sandrails. Some of their engines got more than 600Hp. They also prep Chevy LS2 and LS7 engines (Corvette).. good stuff. If you have the money, that is.. it's not very locost..
locost_bryan

posted on 13/4/07 at 04:40 AM Reply With Quote
These guys here have fitted the 200bhp Mazda KL-ZE 2.5l V6 into Baja bugs and sandrails - mated to VW trans.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

MrFluffy

posted on 14/4/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
i vote ford...

Ive got a hewland adaptor plate somewhere to mate a ford pinto/cvh etc to a swingaxle vw box, bolted on said box. At one point I had a 1600 cvh motor bolted to it in a vw based kitcar.
Ford 4 pot, cheap to buy and get bits for, and you can make a zetec or the like into a little screamer. Run the rad tubes to up front in the tunnel and run a front mounted radiator. Lets you run a ford clutch/starter etc too.
pm me if your interested, postage might be a killer on the whole box as im in france, but will split the adaptor parts off (the first motion shaft is a special ford splined component) to reduce the weight of a parcel.
Ive been keeping it around cos I had half a mind to build a buggy too, and ive been threatening the mrs's type2 camper with it and a ford transit diesel engine Ive got knocking round...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
redhouse53

posted on 19/4/07 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
suburu is the hot ticket right now but they have quite low sumps so alfa or mazda rotary might be better. chack out this site
http://frost.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.