Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Music Downloads
grassracer

posted on 8/4/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Music Downloads

Very off topic but can anyone recommend a nice cheap, safe , secure and reliable site for music downloads.
My wife has just got an Ipod and quite frankly neither of us know where to start!!! Thanks in advance

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
BenB

posted on 8/4/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Itunes
Pretty simple!!!

blakep82

posted on 8/4/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Itunes
Pretty simple!!!

he said nice

i just don't like ipods or itunes....

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

arrybradbury

posted on 8/4/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Also mentioned was "cheap"
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/4/07 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I use limeWire it's a one off payment, not a lot and there is so much on there it's incredible. Not sure just how legal it is in the end but I have used if for ages and you just would not believe how much music I have downloaded

One thing to note is it appears that anything stored in the shared folded is accessible to other users so mind what you keep there.

Limewire was the turning point for me and when my I-pod really shone, just wish I had gone for a 60GB one.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave1888

posted on 8/4/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have tried quite a few of the free ones but i would not touch them now to much shite on them if you want music i would recommend itunes not free but what you see or hear is what you get.

arrybradbury

posted on 8/4/07 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Illegal downloads with a decent spyware/antivirus should be ok in most cases!
gazza285

posted on 8/4/07 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Torrentspy

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 8/4/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Is limewire legit now or is it like allmp3- kind of borderling legality and purports to be kosher but the fuzz may still come knocking despite the money you've paid up....
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/07 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
It's a very good question the answer is I don't know. All my music downloads are stored on a plug in hard drive anyway but I find it hard to understand that if a site is so well known and was so blatantly doing something illegal (that's if it is) how it could exist for so long.

I was listening on the radio about the record label that has rights on the Beetle's music now agreeing to make it available for down loading. Strange since I downloaded all their tracks about a year ago, it’s hard to make head or tail of it all.

RK

posted on 9/4/07 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
Soulseek. One of the few with no spyware hidden inside. You can share what you like - they don't have to have access to your whole drive.
Keith Weiland

posted on 9/4/07 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I use limeWire it's a one off payment, not a lot and there is so much on there it's incredible. Not sure just how legal it is in the end but I have used if for ages and you just would not believe how much music I have downloaded

One thing to note is it appears that anything stored in the shared folded is accessible to other users so mind what you keep there.

Limewire was the turning point for me and when my I-pod really shone, just wish I had gone for a 60GB one.

Its not legal at all , many people who use it in the US are being sued and it is far to easily traceable plus it contains spyware.

If you must use peer to peer aka p2p then your best bet is to use torrents. get a program like uTorrent and then also get Peer Guardian to help protect you from unwanted people.

Personally I would recommend itunes and just pay the .79p and just be sure its a song you like before you buy it.

pdw709

posted on 9/4/07 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I would stay clear of paying for ANY downloads........Simply rip a CD.

1. Its just as cheap (depending on where you buy the CD)
2. You will always "own" the CD.
3. You can rip at CD quality in a suitable lossless format. (plus keep a lossy mp3 version for portable playback).
4. No issues with DRM.
5. You are not dependant on apple/Itunes or indeed any other music provider/vendor. i.e. your music is entirely portable/transferable.

Personally, why anyone would pay for lossy music is beyond me. Can't people see its a rip off?

Phil

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/07 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice. I think I may stop using it. I do regular scans for spy ware and there's often one or two found. Like I say I've now got practically everything I can think off downloaded now so there's really little need for it. I tend to use the works computer for card transactions as I'm assuming that their system is a bit more secure than mine, famous last words. So even if someone got access to my machine there's nothing to gain.

Hellfire

posted on 9/4/07 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've heard torrentspy is very good...

Thing is with these things the record companies don't like to think they are missing out on anything where money is concerned. The reason CD sales are down is because of the sh!t music they keep making. Downloads is a way of "try before you buy" if you will.

TBH - I have downloaded many albums/singles, if I like them I go out to buy them legitimately as the quality of the rip is never as good as the CD. If the album/single is crap then I don't buy it and delete it from my drive - it's the people who burn the mp3's to disc and then sell them that are the problem AFAICS.

Long may downloads live, as it keeps the record companies on their toes to produce better music rather than churn out the same old crud...

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The reason CD sales are down is because of the sh!t music they keep making.
quote:

how true, maybe I'm getting old but my old bluebirds engine makes better music than the rubbish I hear on the radio

All I do is keep Norton upto date, download yahoo’s anti spy upgrades and do a scan one a week. Nothing nasty has ever happened with Limewire, touch wood

coozer

posted on 9/4/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mirc, everything you need

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.