Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension bolts
RoadkillUK

posted on 27/7/03 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension bolts

It's come to the stage (nearly) where I'll be bolting the car together so I'm wondering what size bolts will I be needing for my suspension? The brackets and suspension parts are from MK.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK7

posted on 27/7/03 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an MK and they supplied me with M12x70mm HST (8.8) galvanised bolts

Russell

RoadkillUK

posted on 27/7/03 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers MK7, can anyone confirm that MK sells the same brackets for the 'book' locost that he does for the 'Indy' ?

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dick Axtell

posted on 28/7/03 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUKCheers MK7, can anyone confirm that MK sells the same brackets for the 'book' locost that he does for the 'Indy' ?

Hi,
My "book" chassis came from MK, and I've just discovered that the coilover (damper) fixing brkts are drilled to accept 1/2" bolts, but the rest of the brkts (wishbones, panhard rod, trailing arms) are all drilled at 12mm, so I've used 12 x 60mm bolts here. For the dampers, 1/2" unf x 2.5".
ATB
Dick

spy

posted on 28/7/03 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote

My "book" chassis came from MK, and I've just discovered that the coilover (damper) fixing brkts are drilled to accept 1/2" bolts, but the rest of the brkts (wishbones, panhard rod, trailing arms) are all drilled at 12mm, so I've used 12 x 60mm bolts here. For the dampers, 1/2" unf x 2.5".
ATB
Dick

Yep, 1/2" bolts are very commonly used on dampers. Roadkill, double check whether you've got 12mm or 1/2"(12.7mm). 0.7mm is a lot of difference

MK7

posted on 28/7/03 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
The wishbone brackets on my Indy measure 50mm (outside edge to outside edge), the shock absorber brackets measure 40mm.

I can pass a 1/2 inch drill bit through the top shock absorber bracket with a bit of slack, the same bit won't pass through the lower bracket.

I'm not sure if this is an issue but I'm planning to use M12 bolts all round (shocks and wishbones). Someone stop me if this is likely to be a problem

Russell

[Edited on 28/7/03 by MK7]

RoadkillUK

posted on 28/7/03 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, bought 22 M12's and 6 1/2" bolts today, can't really check at the moment as the chassis was trailered to 'Peateys' in Yeadon for blasting and powder coating, should be ready to collect on Friday.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

Dick Axtell

posted on 28/7/03 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK7: I'm not sure if this is an issue but I'm planning to use M12 bolts all round (shocks and wishbones). Someone stop me if this is likely to be a problem

Got my shocks from Darren George (doz@gtscougar etc.), and the 12mm bolts won't fill the sleeves in the end-fittings(0.7mm slop!). A 1/2" bolt is really necessary (unless you get some foreign Euro-compliant dampers).

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

RoadkillUK

posted on 29/7/03 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Am I correct in thinking that the thread on the bolt shouldn't start until it has passed through the bracket? i.e. no thread inside the bracket.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

leto

posted on 30/7/03 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
Am I correct in thinking that the thread on the bolt shouldn't start until it has passed through the bracket? i.e. no thread inside the bracket.

If you going to drive your car only in theory: No. For any use in reality: Yes.

Cheers Leif

RoadkillUK

posted on 30/7/03 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
In which case I have the wrong bolts

£20 too, nevermind, I'll take them back on friday when I can get a measurement from the chassis.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

Ben_Copeland

posted on 31/7/03 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
I've come up against this now too... need to get the right bolts for the job.

So far i have used XE headbolts with the thread ground down a bit. Just to get everything together. Until I can get the proper bolts. Which will hopefully be soon !!!

Rorty

posted on 31/7/03 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
RoadkillUK:
quote:

Am I correct in thinking that the thread on the bolt shouldn't start until it has passed through the bracket?

Correct. I posted about this a while ago, the thread name escapes me, but may be worth a search.
Briefly, you need aircraft industry fasteners, They have a standard length of thread for each diameter of bolt, to accommodate two washers and a locking nut. The shank lengths are available in 1/8" (American, wouldn't you know!) increments.
With these fasteners, both sides of the suspension brackets are in contact with the correct diameter of bolt shank. Using ordinary engineering fasteners will result in the thread remaining inside the hole on one side of the bracket, thus putting unequal stress on the bracket.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.