Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BHP vs HP
CraigJ

posted on 12/4/07 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
BHP vs HP

Is there any difference when you see power figures quoted in HP and BHP?

Ive been searching for a doner bike engine with good power figures. Ive come across a few bikes which can be had for less than a grand zx10 137HP and fzr1000 145HP all around 1990 bikes so i wont need a cat for sva. So is HP and BHP the same or are they different?

Thanks.

dilley

posted on 12/4/07 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
WORMS,A CAN OF
NeilP

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know exactly but vaguely recall that one is the power that the engine develops (i.e. calculated) and one is the measured power it takes to brake the engine.

You've then got the German 'PS' (Pfederstarke?...) which is a kind of metric equivalent to HP/BHP which most manufacturers now use.

Hopefully enlightenment will come but Dilley is spot on...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

RazMan

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote

Come and share my popcorn - this is going to take a while

[Edited on 12-4-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find that BHP is derived from the original James Watt experiments to find the work done by a pit pony. Applied to an engine it is the power measured at the crank.

HP is from the SAE standard in the US which was to standardise the method of measuring an engine. Measured at the flywheel but the engine was supposed to be in road trim. Something like that anyway.

The two main methods of measuring on a dynamometer are the water/eddie current braked dyno so I guess BHP and the inertia roller dyno so HP?

JAG

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Horse Power and Brake Horse Power are exactly the same thing.

Brake Horse Power simply means that it is 'as measured' on a Brake. Brake being shorthand for Dynamometer.

The ISO standard measure for power is the Watt.

PS (German: Pferdestärke = horse strength) is German and also means Horse Power and is there older method for measuring power and is very similar to a UK Horse Power. It's about 1.4% more is all.

This what Wikipedia has to say HERE

[Edited on 12/4/07 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

ian888

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi good day to everyone. Im just a newbie here.

I would like to share my 2cents on this topic. In engineering, BHP is the power measured at the wheels. Therefore, we can say that this is actual power delivered by the engine after all the power loss that occured in the gear box and all other mating parts. Horsepower on the other hand generally refers to power delivered by the engine alone. a 120HP engine can have about 20% power loss if it will transmit the power to the gearbox down to the wheels. This is just an illustration.

Hope i was able to share something.

happy motoring!

ian

zxrlocost

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Craig if you want a powerful bike engine

a ZZr1100 1994 is your best bet

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Fred W B

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Seems you have answered the question I have brewing in my head - what engines to look for for my next project? - 2 longitudinal mounted bike engines geared to a single sprocket on a car diff in the back of a wide spaceframe.

It seems that zz11'z that old should be really cheap and If I use Kawasaki's I can call it CANAMSAKI.

Any problems you see with this plan?

Cheers

Fred W B

MrFluffy

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
The fzr1000 exup puts out realistically about 125hp at the rear wheel in the bike, the 145hp figure is quoted from the crank.
Bimota used this engine in their yb8's with a different exaust and airbox (still keeping carbs and the exup on some of them, which made more power than the injected version) and were claiming 165hp from the changes so theres a bit to be had if you design the still air chamber properly when you dont have the constraints of fitting into a bike, that equates to a real world 135 hp at the wheel on mine on the dyno...
Oh and the clutch basket is fragile to say the least, budget for a billet one if you dont want to be picking basket fingers out the sump in 10k...
At least a small bit relevant...

Edit, keep the exup valve in the exaust if you get one, it gives the engine a incredibly flat torque curve that will actually make your vehicle quicker midrange even though theres tiny top end gains to be had from discarding it. The "exup" is a electrically operated gate valve in the exaust that varies the exaust diameter according to instructions from the ems. Its worth buying it new cables and retiming it on assembly too...

[Edited on 12/4/07 by MrFluffy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
If I use Kawasaki's I can call it CANAMSAKI.

.... or even KAWACANAM - sound like a Harry Potter spell

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

jack trolley

posted on 12/4/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
BHP is only used in the U.K. because in the olden days (pre WW2) HP
was 'calculated' for tax purposes.
This calculation had no relationship with real HP.
Bore size formed part of the formula and led to puny, small-bore engines (A-series).

Typical ignorant, beaucratic nonsense - thank heavens things aren't like that anymore.

B.H.P. refers to power measure on a engine "brake" dynometer. How
accurately it's measured on a dyno opens up a whole different kettle of worms.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.