Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sat nav advice
benji106

posted on 12/4/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
sat nav advice

got a new job which entails a fair amount of driving so looking to get a sat nav.
anyone got any reccomendations? looking to spend under £200. speed camera locations would be good, maps of Europe a bonus, been looking at the navman icn 530 (just missed out on the one that was being sold on here a couple of weeks ago) and the garmin Nuvi 300 anyone got experience of either of these?

Ben

[Edited on 12/4/07 by benji106]

-Everything in excess-

Pants On Fire

posted on 12/4/07 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Does your new job come with a mobile phone?

If so ask for one with a Windows Mobile O/S like a Treo 750v.

Then load up Tom Tom Mobile 5 on it and get a GPS reciever. PDA, phone and sat nav in one device.

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

trogdor

posted on 12/4/07 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
i have a navman icn 330 which is a lower spec model to the one you have but i only paid £77 for it via the bay so i reckon you could easily get the higher spec one.

the navman works really well and the rechargeable batt lasts for ages too.

is a good budget sat nav, if i had the money i would get a good garmin.

[Edited on 12/4/07 by trogdor]

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I got road angel, very cool tells where the cameras are

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rayward

posted on 12/4/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
ebuyer have got a deal on a navman,

LINK

Ray

benji106

posted on 12/4/07 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies
I did get a Nokia N73, but looking at the sat nav options for it, looks about the same price as a stand alone unit, plus the screen, although good for a phone, i wouldnt have thought would be big enough to comfortably use for sat nav.

[Edited on 12/4/07 by benji106]

-Everything in excess-

edspurrier

posted on 12/4/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
TomTom One very easy to use, clear screen layout and good at recalculating if ypou leave the original route. Does cameras etc.
JoelP

posted on 12/4/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
i got a tom tom 1 the other day, it does all the points of interest and it also has an offer on free camera updates, which im not arsed about myself as i dont get caught by normal ones, its the vans that get me! I paid £160 at comet. Love it.
matt_claydon

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
TomTom every time. Tried others but always found these to be much more user friendly. Probably a bit of a case of horses for courses though
Jon Ison

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I use navman, UK n Europe no problems.

I can email camera locations too you too put on your card if you want em.

Dazza

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
??????

i was using tom tom on my PDA, upgraded it to the newer 5 version.

loved it.
then, as my pda went screwey, i got a NavMan, the cheaper one, but works well...
bit to be honest. i prefer the tom tom, as its a little clearer and seems to work a litttle better....

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Ian Pearson

posted on 13/4/07 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Nuvi 310. It's superb, has European maps. Whatever you get, make sure it's got full 6 figure postcode facility.
trogdor

posted on 13/4/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
thats not that much of an issue

that is one of the downsides of my navman that it only does 5 character postcode searches but all you need is the road and number you are going too and its fine.

davie dickson

posted on 14/4/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Navman icn 530, which I used a got from ebay with full european maps on cd which had to be loaded to an SD card to use in the machine.

I used it mostly in Europe and was very dissappointed with it. LOTS of innacuracies in the mapping, although thats not the units fault. I believe all satnav units use the same basic maps made by a few different companies. It also tended to crash a lot. Switching it off during a journey ie at a petrol stop, when switching on again, it would invariably have a software crash and need re-booted, requiring the destinations to be re-entered. very annoying. Reasonably often it would just have a spazz attack where it would follow my progress along a road no problem but when I tried to enter a destination it suddenly decided it was elsewhere in the country and calculated a route of several hundred miles to get to somewhere 10 minutes away. Maybe it was faulty? I dunno, I gave it to my sister and she uses it exclusively in and around Aberdeen and it seemingly works 100% so maybe just didnt like using info from the SD card.

If I get another one (im coping fine with the old road-atlas at the moment) I will look at TomTom One Europe.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.