Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nagged to death while driving in Scotland!
David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/07 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nagged to death while driving in Scotland!

Just come back from a driving holiday in Scotland - beautiful place, thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip, but I got REALLY fed up with the nagging road signs every half-mile or so!

"Observe the speed limit"
"Don't drink and drive"
"Allow overtaking"
"Unmarked police cars patrol these roads"
"Tiredness kills - take a rest"
and so on, and so on....

For goodness sake! How many times do they need to tell me!

Wasn't impressed with the sneaky speed cameras either - 60mph road, then 70mph dual-cabbageway, then back to 60mph as the dualing ended - guess what? There's a speed camera... Not every time, but often enough.

Had a great holiday though, despite the niggling botheration...

Just wish it wasn't 600 miles away, as it would have been great to take the 7 - it's just too far to go with no screen, no hood, etc.!

David

donut

posted on 12/4/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
My wife has started naging all the time now. I'm thinking of calling her Mrs Bucket! She does things like tell me to watch the cyclist who is still about 500 yards away and who i have already spotted.

She must be getting old!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
brashhighlander

posted on 12/4/07 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like you must have driven up the A9. A beautiful part of the country to see but the road is a nightmare.
blakep82

posted on 12/4/07 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
i like the road sign near me that says "check your fuel" most of the time, yet there's no petrol stations within 20 miles of it, and certainly no motorway services for about the next 70 or so

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hellfire

posted on 12/4/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
As a regular driver around Scotland I too get annoyed with the perpetual bombardment of the Motorway signs... by the time you have read the sign you have duly planted your car into the boot of the car in front! They really are a driving hazard!

Regading the sneaky camera's - it sounds like the A1 around Torness (Southbound) where there is a camera right on the end of a dual carraigeway at the top of an incline after a bridge - very sneaky as it is almost in the transition between dual and single.

Drive carefully!

Steve

David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brashhighlander
It sounds like you must have driven up the A9.

Spot on!

Fozzie

posted on 12/4/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you had a great time David!
Must admit didn't 'do' any main roads whilst we were up there, just all the 'back' ones

Mind, we are driving up there this time in the VXT, as I also don't have wind-screen/
hood/ weather gear etc on the 7, its good to know of the driving 'distractions' of the A9 ......

It really is 'Gods Own Back Garden' up there isn't it?

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
CaLviNx - Thankfully I was rubber-necking most of the time so was content to cruise along at the designated speed!

Fozzie - the main roads were only used for 'rapid transit' - other times were all on minor roads.

The best "just a bit too early" moment was when we went to the RSPB Osprey place near Aviemore - we arrived at 2:00, stayed until 2:30, no Ospreys. Found out later that the first one arrived at 4:45 on that same day! Went back and saw them a few days later... Impressive birds.

Also found out that my 60-year-old brother has been howling around the back roads on his newly-acquired GSXR. Used to have a 'busa. I'm in the wrong job...

Now need to plan the next visit...

[Edited on 12/4/07 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.