Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lambo stylee hinges
RazMan

posted on 16/4/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Lambo stylee hinges

I'm toying with the idea of redesigning my doors for a better seal. Part of this revamp will entail a Lambo style hinge which first pulls the door outwards (about 20mm or so) and then upwards in a scissor action.

I am sure these hinges must be available or at least the drawings to make them. Any ideas where I can start looking?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 16/4/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cerainly not locost but:

http://www.turborevs.org.uk/Lambo%20Door%20kits.html

This might be.. or it might be a rip off!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/lambodoorsuk/index.htm

Both and many more from typing "Lambo hinges" and selecting UK in Yahoo Search

RazMan

posted on 16/4/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
At nearly £300 for this, I am not suprised they are in stock

Hmmm I wonder if anyone has ordered the CD and wants to share the drawings ........ anyone?

[Edited on 16-4-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 16/4/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Hmmm I wonder if anyone has ordered the CD and wants to share the drawings ........ anyone?

lol might be better off trying the boy racer or cruise forums

RazMan

posted on 16/4/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
But I don't speak chav

Cheers,
Raz

MkIndy7

posted on 16/4/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Am sure one of us young'ens can Translate
mistergrumpy

posted on 16/4/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think with some you have to be careful with the doors or the pillars that the hinges are bolted/welded to don't start to deform/twist as they weren't designed for such forces. Maybe a little different in your case though

vorn

posted on 17/4/07 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
have a look here . exchange rate might be a bit better.

Vaughan

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=lambo+door+hinges&searchRegion=100&type=Search&x=7& y=10

locostv8

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA-INTEGRA-RSX-TSX-LAMBORGHINI-DOOR-KIT-HINGE-CD_W0QQitemZ110115083554QQihZ001QQcategoryZ36475QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

RazMan

posted on 17/4/07 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the links guys, but they are really for the supply of a list of suppliers of these grossly overpriced 'universal' tintop components. I am really after the drawings so I can laser cut my own hinges which will be specially made for my car which is of course fibreglass.

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 17/4/07 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Am sure one of us young'ens can Translate

No need - I've found a phrase book
linky

Cheers,
Raz

ned

posted on 17/4/07 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
problem with the tintop ones is that they'll be grossly over engineered (or jsut big and heavy ) as your little doors will weigh nowt in comparison! Do any of the lambo forums or kit/suppliers have any detail? maybe check out some lambo build diaries?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

RazMan

posted on 18/4/07 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've been trawling round a few sites and you are right when you say that they are over engineered for my application.
I am working on a simple two-motion hinge which might work, although cars like the Mosler seem to use a compound hinge which looks very complicated, yet very effective.

Research continues ....

Cheers,
Raz

gttman

posted on 18/4/07 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Raz

The Ultima GTR has a Hinge like the Mosler..... I have plenty of pictures of this and can get hold of drawings of the main hinge (top uses a small rose joint).

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

RazMan

posted on 18/4/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
You are a star Andy

As I recall, the Ultima uses something resembling a boot hinge at the bottom (set at an angle) and a kind of rose joint at the top corner of the windscreen.

Drawings would come in VERY handy

Cheers,
Raz

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/4/07 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at these hinges before, way ott. A simple trackrod balljoint and a shaped channel for a cam to run in would be more than enough and cost £50 or so to make.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.