Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Visit to Newcastle
stevec

posted on 20/4/07 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Visit to Newcastle

Off to Newcastle/Whitley bay on Monday for a few days with the wife.Going to do the usual tourist type stuff.Hadrians wall and up the coast to Berwick.etc. We will spend 1 day in Newcastle.
Any recomendations for a nice traditional type Pub in Newcastle town centre area for a bit of lunch and a pint? Also one in Whtley Bay where a bloke can take his missus.
Thanks.

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Dunno about the pubs but if youneed any glass fibre pop into East Coast Glass fibre in South Shield for really good priced stuff!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

worX

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.theaa.com/travel/basicsearch/preparepoisearchstage1.do?statusstage1=new&page=fooddrink

try this?

hih
Steve

Guinness

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Ahhh.

Pubs in Newcastle, a subject close to my heart!

http://www.theburglarsdog.co.uk/ gives you a very honest, if sometimes harsh, description of most of the pubs in Newcastle.

Mid week is usually pretty quiet in town in the evenings, lunchtime is hetic 'cause of the office lunch thing. Personally I'd recommend either "The Bridge" just behind the Castle Keep, or Centurion in the Central Station itself for a pie & a pint at lunchtime.

Luckies, up by the Civic Centre, for an open air afternoon pint, watching the students go by (if you can stand the buses going past!).

If you are in town in the evening, then Tokyo is good with it's roof top garden, and the Telegraph has a good vibe!

In the evening, head up to Osbourne Road. Usually busy, if a bit poncey / rich studenty. (More Ferrari's, Aston's, Porsche's, Rangies and X5's etc than you can shake a stick at).

I can't tell you about Whitley, as the only times I've been there was on Stag Do's or at Bank Holiday Weekends, and we certainly weren't looking for "nice pubs suitable to take the wife to" IYKWIM.

Cheers

Mike

stevec

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Mike.
I will note all of that.
Thanks for the other replys from others aswell.
Steve.

angus.d

posted on 20/4/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with what Mike says.

Whitley Bay (particularly South Parade) is full of wannabee nightclub type bars and very lively.
Still friendly though and worth a look. Many bars open 'til the early hours.

As Mike says however its mainly for the Stag/Hen do types. However I am the wrong side of 40 and probably considered an old f*rt by the younger element.

Have a great trip anyway

Cheers

Angus

scottc

posted on 20/4/07 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
LOL. well I'm the right side of 30 and even though I lived in whitley bay, wouldn't drink there.

I can't really recommend anywhere in whitley bay itself to drink, but theres a couple of nice pubs / bars along the coast towards and in tynemouth.

I second Mike's Centurion, Secco on Pilgrim street and a nice balcony and do great cocktails, or the Apartment, does some nice drinks, with some lovely eye candy

rav

posted on 20/4/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
The Crown Posada hidden away down near the quayside has some decent local ales and you won't find and hen or stag nights in there, thats if you can find it at all...
pewe

posted on 20/4/07 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
From Whitley Bay run up the coast along the A193 through Blyth, A189 then A1068 along the coast rather than the A1. Best Fish & Chips at Harry's Place (gettit?) at Bedlington Station west of Blyth. Visit Amble (fishing village), Alnmouth (pretty little seaside village) then Craster (kippers) & pub - after walk to Dunstanburgh Castle, drive to Low Newton-by the-Sea (beach walk) and up to Bamburgh via Seahouses (trips to the Farne Islands). Visit Holy Island across the tidal causeway and then back to Alnwick. Take the B6341 and 6342. 6079 to Hexham for some of the best driving roads and views in the North. Berwick is nice but if you aren't happy with that lot I'll be suprised. If you want an excellent B&B near Alnmouth U2U me. Cheers, Pewe (it's not for nothing they call it the forgotten county but don't tell everyone or it will become crowded so speaks an exiled Geordie).
stevec

posted on 20/4/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Wow we are going to have fun.
Thanks everyone,
Steve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.