Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How far can I go?
Asennad

posted on 21/4/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
How far can I go?

I have no idea what donor parts I am going to be using. I am in Canada so it won’t be the book donor. I don’t know if I am going to try and use an IRS, solid axle or DeDion.

I would like to start working on the chassis. How far can I go? If I use a North American donor will the frame have to be modified to suit the alternative suspension mounts?

David Jenkins

posted on 21/4/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
You might find this Yahoo group helpful:

Locost_North_America

I don't like to deter you from looking at this group - but they'll know the sort of problems you'll encounter.

Mind you, you could look at that group, AND read stuff here.

HTH,
David

RK

posted on 21/4/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
PM me and I'll give you the info I have. I have ordered a kit from Deman Motorsports in Ontario. The US guys are more into reinventing the wheel than these Brits are, basically because we don't have access to the useful parts they do in the UK.
violentblue

posted on 21/4/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Try Locost USA
there are losts of fellow Canucks there.
I'm personally doing a +4 chassis with Thunderbird rear and Mustang II based front, powered by a zetec engine

[Edited on 21/4/07 by violentblue]

a few pics of my other projects

Asennad

posted on 22/4/07 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
PM me and I'll give you the info I have. I have ordered a kit from Deman Motorsports in Ontario. The US guys are more into reinventing the wheel than these Brits are, basically because we don't have access to the useful parts they do in the UK.

I’d be interested in finding out more about your experience with Deman. They are located near Collingwood and I actually spent some time near by this last winter skiing. I had been planning to drop in.

I am particularly interested in the front suspension setup they use. I’ve been meaning to find out if the T-Bird uses McPherson Strut or A- Arms and how they utilize the spindles. Do they need to modify them or are they stock?

I am still going to have to do more research and I do follow the Locost US forum but I find it hard to get definitive answers there. As of now I am leaning towards a Chevett/Fiero front end and T-Bird IRS.

Dale

posted on 24/4/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at there cars at a get together that they brought their demo to - a turbo busa-
I was very impressed with the uprights- they use a tbrid upright from 89 up. They cut the gawd awfull long top to the top ball joint off and puta ball boing in the hole where the anti roll bar would go. Does a very neat job.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

locostv8

posted on 24/4/07 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Check my posts on lcusa. I have gone over the pieces to use several times.

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

RK

posted on 25/4/07 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
I have not received anything yet, but I think modification of some kind is required. I am ordering the Modules from the Deman people; I am not experienced enough to do it otherwise.

The guys on the American site are very helpful. Try not to get discouraged with all the options - it's the same for us all at one level or another.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/

Just be aware that any build in Canada WILL cost more than what these British guys need to spend - shipping parts a few thousand km's at a time costs $$.

Sorry to monopolise your board, chaps. Maybe we need a Canadian site??

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.