Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: extra height
heyzee

posted on 31/7/03 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
extra height

has anyone fit extra tubes on top of the top rails to gain that extra 1 inch that is needed for some engine aplications.im thinking of fitting a z tec engine and have a standard book chassis.ive been told it needs to be a bit higher but dont want to chop my chassis up.i allso have my bodywork to suit,so what i was wondering was,has anyone heightened there frameby welding on extra tubes from the scuttle to the front so it infact lifts up the scuttle the bonnet and the nosecone.or what are the potential pit falls.apart from the weight because im not going to loose any sleep over a couple of kgs
James

posted on 1/8/03 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heyzee

<snip>
.or what are the potential pit falls.apart from the weight because im not going to loose any sleep over a couple of kgs

I'm pretty sure Merlin has done this with his car.

The only problem I can see is with the mounting of the nosecone at the bottom. And that can't be that hard to resolve!

Good Luck,

James

jbmcsorley

posted on 1/8/03 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Other than cosmetics... it should be no problem. The zetec is 25" from top to bottom. At least 1.5" can come off the bottom of the oil pan to make the engine height 23.5".

With a 6" chassis ride height and a modified oil pan... you'll have a good 4" road clearance. Score!

Cheers, -Jim M.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 1/8/03 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst height is being discussed - is a 1 inch taller chassis enough to cope with a sierra 2 litre twin cam engine? This is what I will be using initially and advice about chassis mods to make it fit woud be gratefully received. MK and Luego chassis seem to fit this engine OK - what makes their chassis big enough?

I have read all the comments about the engine and how poor it is, but the donor I have bought has one in it which currently runs really well. If I have any problems with it later I plan to replace it with a Rover K series later anyway.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.