Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear toe on MK Indy
nikpro

posted on 25/4/07 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
Rear toe on MK Indy

I had a quick look under the rear of my friends MK Indy to evaluate a chassis set-up but it appeared you could not set the rear toe - is this correct or am I missing something?

thanks for your help in advance.

PS what rate of springs are people using in a CEC application front and rear (Vauxhall 1600 16v engine is fitted)

graememk

posted on 25/4/07 at 04:29 AM Reply With Quote
would you need to change it /?

dilley

posted on 25/4/07 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
to make it right

you will have to shim it.

matt_claydon

posted on 25/4/07 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
I have a problem with the rear toe on my Indy, any ideas on the best way to shim it? I'm not too keen on putting washers between the hub and upright; someone suggested slotting the wishbone brackets and welding a washer back on in the right place so as to effectively move the hole.
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/4/07 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
not adjustable but I'm not aware there's any toe in or out on my car. You could try flipping the lower wishbone over though I was told by MK when I got the kit that they were symmetrical, which they are (sat them on top of each other). There seems to have been some history that they were perhaps wrong in some way but having set up the suspension (not yet driven it) everything was in line.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 25/4/07 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
You can allways make some sims. How do you know it is actualy wrong?

As Mr Wippy says the rear end gemometry can be imporved on but this has nothing to due with toe. From what I recall this requires the brakects to be moved and you will not notice any differance on the road, and probably not even on the track unless your a pro.

Cheers

Dan

[Edited on 25/4/07 by Bluemoon]

nick205

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
to make it right

you will have to shim it.

Dilley - did you keep a note of the measurements from your Indy before it was shimmed? I ask because I'm looking into getting mine set-up propoerly and would be interested to know what is likely to need doing.

Cheers
Nick

gttman

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
the rear toe is different side to side on my Indy one side is straight the other has toe out..... I can even see this by eye so mine needs adjusting to make it handle.

I am Thinking of making the rear wishbone adjustable as shims will mean the wheel hub and upright will not mate up flush and thus more strain on the 4 bolts IMO.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
What I would check is that the rear wheels are truly sitting level on the road and adjust the top wishbone nut to suit. I used a spirit level on the tyre, as it's too hard to tell just looking. Or you could place a level on the outside edge of the wheel rim. I found on my Falcon that setting the point that the rear lost grip to be controlled by the front toe and set it so I could drift sideways controlling the direction with the throttle, which I believe is how it's meant to be.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gttman

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
setting the camber shouldn't effect toe on the rear... I have already set the camber anyhow so that I can possition the wheelarches.

Unless you have done a string box most will be unaware what the rear toe is.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/4/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
What I would check is that the rear wheels are truly sitting level on the road and adjust the top wishbone nut to suit. I used a spirit level on the tyre, as it's too hard to tell just looking. Or you could place a level on the outside edge of the wheel rim. I found on my Falcon that setting the point that the rear lost grip to be controlled by the front toe and set it so I could drift sideways controlling the direction with the throttle, which I believe is how it's meant to be.

no I put that cos the camber is the only thing you can set on the indi rear, so if someones having a prob at the back then that's what I'd check. Then check the front toe in.

[Edited on 25/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

dilley

posted on 25/4/07 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I have no meqasurements, the bloke who set my car up used washers,this is fine, It needs to be done properly,mine now looks like the drivers rear wheel is toeing out bad but it could be the arch.
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/4/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
oh now your ringing bells, washers behind the rear hub and the upright? I do remember something about that.

nick205

posted on 25/4/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
oh now your ringing bells, washers behind the rear hub and the upright? I do remember something about that.

Just realised that myself too

snoopy

posted on 25/4/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
i always wanted to modify one like the mazda mx5 rear ends are its very adjustable and simple some usefull info on setup HERE
matt_claydon

posted on 25/4/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
The reason I need to adjust my toe is that both wheels are toed about 0.5 degree in the SAME direction (ie the rear end is trying to crab to the right).

Maybe I could try flipping the lower wishbone over?

nikpro

posted on 25/4/07 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
The reason I was asking is that we are going to do a wheel alignment on the car using a 4 wheel infra red system that measures to 0.2mm accuracy.

Any toe out on the rear is very bad and will make the car handle like a pig!

Ideally I would like 30 minutes of toe-in on the rear with the thrust line central.

At least I know now it's not adjustable and wasn't missing the obvious - thanks for the help.

My Build Pics:
http://www.pbase.com/nikpro/westfield_build

dilley

posted on 27/4/07 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Make a string box around the car and you can measure everything.
nikpro

posted on 30/4/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
Make a string box around the car and you can measure everything.

Why would I do that when I have an infra-red 4 wheel alignment system?

My Build Pics:
http://www.pbase.com/nikpro/westfield_build

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.