Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Swirlpot
dave1888

posted on 25/4/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Swirlpot

I am looking at going the injection route and one of the items i need is a swirlpot. I found one on ebay but can anyone tell me what the two centre connections are for. I assume the bottom will by for fuel to injectors and the top one for the return. Rescued attachment swirlpot.jpg
Rescued attachment swirlpot.jpg

paulf

posted on 25/4/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Bottom connects to the HP pump , next one up to the low pressure supply pump, one above to the fuel rail return and top one to the tank return to let out any air or vapour.
Paul.

dave1888

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Where does the low pressure pump fit in. all the drawings i have none of them mention low pressure pumps

ned

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
see:

here

and

here

[Edited on 25/4/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave1888

posted on 25/4/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Ned

dave1888

posted on 28/4/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Im confused can anyone tell me or recommend a low pressure fuel pump and a high pressure fuel pump, what pressures do they operate at.

paulf

posted on 28/4/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I am using a facet red top pump for the low pressure and a pump from a Sierra XR4 for the high pressure. low presure is only about 2psi and the high presure is regulated to approximately 45psi depending on what injectors and regulator you are using.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
Im confused can anyone tell me or recommend a low pressure fuel pump and a high pressure fuel pump, what pressures do they operate at.

chriscook

posted on 29/4/07 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
If you can get your HP fuel pump below the level of your tank you do not need a LP pump or swirl pot. You can do it like:

tank->filter-> HP Pump-> (HP filter) ->Fuel rail ->pressure regulator -> return to top of tank

If you have two pumps and a swirl pot then you need to make sure that the LP pump has pumped fuel into swirl pot before th HP pump starts.

[Edited on 29/4/07 by chriscook]

Schrodinger

posted on 29/4/07 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
If you can get your HP fuel pump below the level of your tank you do not need a LP pump or swirl pot. You can do it like:

tank->filter-> HP Pump-> (HP filter) ->Fuel rail ->pressure regulator -> return to top of tank

If you have two pumps and a swirl pot then you need to make sure that the LP pump has pumped fuel into swirl pot before th HP pump starts.

That's fine as long as you do not have to lift the fuel out of the tank, very few high pressure pumps like lifting fuel. My Tiger tank had the feed to the pumps in the top of the tank therefore the fuel has to be lifted, some tanks have the feed out of the bottom, then your suggestion is fine.

rusty nuts

posted on 29/4/07 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Also the tank should be baffled to help with fuel surge. If the tank has no baffles a swirl pot is probably better

chriscook

posted on 29/4/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
True - my tank has a pot on the bottom and is baffled. (but I did already say the pump had to be below the tank.)

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:

Also the tank should be baffled to help with fuel surge. If the tank has no baffles a swirl pot is probably better

dave1888

posted on 29/4/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
So what is the purpose of the low pressure pump. Is it to keep the swirl pot full of fuel and then the high pressure pump pumps fuel from the swirl pot thru the injectors and returns excess to the swirl pot. Sorry if i seem a bit thick but its something i am just having a bit difficulty in processing.

matt_claydon

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Dave,

Yes, that's exactly right.

stevebubs

posted on 1/5/07 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
So what is the purpose of the low pressure pump. Is it to keep the swirl pot full of fuel and then the high pressure pump pumps fuel from the swirl pot thru the injectors and returns excess to the swirl pot. Sorry if i seem a bit thick but its something i am just having a bit difficulty in processing.

yep. Spot on

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.