Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Calling all 4AGEers
RichB

posted on 27/4/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Calling all 4AGEers

Hi

I have been steadily building my Velocity over the past forever and am now (in a month) looking for an 20V 4AGE engine.

When i first started I had intended to get a complete drop in solution from Raw, but cash has got somewhat tighter and am looking at alternatives. If you haven't guessed I haven't realy done any engine work before.

For example fensport can supply an engine "complete with all ancilliaries to run, including wiring loom & ecu..." for £1250 +vat. The Raw engine strips off the ecu and comes with TB's and Omex system. Is the fensport solution going to be better value or am I still going to have to replace the ecu?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Rich

ghuncha

posted on 27/4/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
well i think if you have all the ecu, loom and all sensors of the engine than you wont bee neding to replace the ecu, as over here 20v is very common and has been swapped in many cars including daewoos, charades, old corollas. and in every case the original ecu and wiring is used.
thanks

Ketchup

posted on 27/4/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
may be worth talking to blockhead rich on here, i am sure his is running a 4age setup in his velocity
RichB

posted on 27/4/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I was wondering if, for space reasons, something has to be removed which causes the original ecu to have issues.
Flat Pack

posted on 27/4/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
There's no way to fit the engine with the stock airbox into a Striker engine bay, might be different on the Velocity but I doubt it. As I understand it, the airbox contains some emissions control gubbins which the stock ECU gets upset about if it can't find.

There's bound to be a cheaper way round it than a full aftermarket setup, but it might not be as straightforward

bimbleuk

posted on 27/4/07 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
The silvertop has an AFM and needs the plenum to work. The later blacktop uses a vacuum MAP sensor and so can be run without the plenum and will fit easily. The blacktop is better anyway

Both engines come with factory fitted individual throttle bodies and RAW usually get all their 20Vs from Fensport.

Richard at OMEX has a Striker with a blacktop 20V which he has very finely map'd getting 160+BHP out of it at 8500RPM. Certainly went well yesterday when I tried it on track!

Maybe in a month my bare blacktop engine will be available for sale. Just keeping it at the mo till my new engine has been proven.

[Edited on 27/4/07 by bimbleuk]

R1 STRIKER

posted on 27/4/07 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi justin, How is the new engine looking? I 've gone the easy route for the time being. Picked up a black top today. May supercharge at a later date but lets get it built and sva'd 1st. reading another topic you mentioned you may switch to t50 gear box. Let me know if you want to sell your bgh, i'm just about to order one.

Ben.

RichB

posted on 27/4/07 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
So I can get a stock blacktop from fensport and run it with the standard ecu?

If so that's good news as fensport are just up the road from me - well closer than hereford anyway!

Thanks all. Watch this space for more noddy questions!

bimbleuk

posted on 28/4/07 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Rich,

You might want to start looking on some of the 4AGE forums and especially the mk1 MR2 forums as they quite often swap in the 20V engines. Should be a few write-ups in the conversion.

Ben,

As usual my car has sat for 3 weeks at the garage waiting on other people. The ECU is still with OMEX to be fixed and upgraded. The plenum is still at the engineering shop to have the flange skimmed! Very frustrating as it should have been finished in December

Rob Lane

posted on 29/4/07 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
This engine any good for you ?

20V

[Edited on 29/4/07 by Rob Lane]

bimbleuk

posted on 29/4/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I was going to mention that link as well. I've seen that seller on ebay for a while which helps with confidence in buying. What the advert doesn't say though is what exactly comes with it! You want the full engine wiring harness, ECU and very importantly the wiring connectors intact. The other importanat parts are the VVT oil solenoid, idle valve and vsv valve, throttle position sensor and all the vacuum pipes/brackets.
thomas4age

posted on 29/4/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
top choice on the engine,

only con with the stock ecu is that it's very civilized in terms of gas response and rpm ability. and it produces arund 140 145 hp instead of the toyota claimed 160,
an omex will sort that out for you.

my 20v striker is getting to be a bitch when you step on it. the engine has just run in so now it's getting more and more funny.

If you do use the original ecu i have the loomdrawings somewhere in the mailbox, so just ask.
the main problem is with the Auto-box ecu's that the ecu wants to talk to the box, so you'd be better of getting an ECU for a manual box, which will also get you a flywheel at the same time,
otherwise the 16v flywheels also fit but you need the 212mm clutched one for use with the T50 box because the slpline is different than the one on the 200mm clutch (mr2)

good luck!

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 29/4/07 by thomas4age]

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.