Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!
akumabito

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!

Hmm, alright, I just discovered that building a Locost, or any other type of kitcar is out of the question for me.

All newly-registered cars that are not officially manufactured (meaning by a recognized manufacturer in an approved factory, etc., etc., etc...) is taxed an 80% duty over its appraised value. Then that total amount is taxed an excise tax of 35%.. THEN there's a 10% interior tax over the subtotal, followed by a 7% VAT. In essence, the total taxes amount to a little over 213% over the appraised value of the vehicle, which, since a kitcar is a non-standard car, is entirely up to the local officials.. they can make up pretty much whatever number they feel like, and I'd have to pay 200+ per cent taxes over that amount.

I'm bummed. Even if I could "build my own sportscar for 250 quid", it would probably get valued at 10,000 quid, just because they can, which mean I'd have to pay over 20k in taxes just to get it on the road...

This sucks.

Oh well.. on a positive note, I'm probably going to look for a nice aircooled VW, and throw some cash at it to make it nice and shiny.

MOz

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Erm.............. move???

MOz

DavidM

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
We're bummed for you too.

Move to the UK. We can put anything on the road!

David

Ivan

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like they realy realy don't want you to build youre own car.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
PHUKET

Looks like a really nice place to live

[Edited on 30-4-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

James

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I did a quick Google.

I expect you've seen this:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t62421.html

I be surprised if you could do nothing at all.

What about registering yourself as a manufacturer?

And if still desperate:
Maybe my impression of Thailand wrong.... but can't you just bribe whoever signs the relevent bits of paper?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Simon

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Or get another government

ATB

Simon

Humbug

posted on 30/4/07 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Or get another government

ATB

Simon

They tried that last year, I think!

akumabito

posted on 30/4/07 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
stupid laws make no sense... I've seen Land Rovers with Isuzu engines, BMW's with Toyota engines, ridiculously modified off-road vehicles and minibuses... I *know* you can get away with pretty much everything... as long as the vehicle is registered in the country.

Oh well, beetles can be fun too...

Gonna find a nice clean one to drive around for a while, then modify it to make the wife and baby happy..

After that, I'll probably look around for an older Suzuki Samurai. Think I'll join the 'ridiculously modified' club with that one..

MOz

posted on 30/4/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
TVR V8's fit nicely into SWB Land Rover Defenders.........

Food for thought!

MOz

coozer

posted on 30/4/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!

Thats a positive shout to being bummed.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

James

posted on 30/4/07 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
What about you find the local government 'valuer' and see what price he puts on a Seven. Might not be too bad.

Then the 200% doesn't look too bad.

If there's a guy running round in a Caterham there, I can't believe he's had it valued at £30,000!

Good luck,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 30/4/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like to say move to the UK, but I see your located in Koh Samui, what I'd regard to be one hell of a nice place. I'll swap countries with you if you want . . .
McLannahan

posted on 30/4/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
What about importing a finished one? Would the same rules apply?

You could then take it apart and add/change things?

Bet there's a loophole that doesn't allow it though....

worX

posted on 30/4/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
would the same rule apply for a build it yourself Caterham or Westfield - you can always lie when you've finished it and say you bought it from the Manufacturers Factory???

Steve

McLannahan

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Worx - I saw a signature footer like that once!

akumabito

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, same restrictions apply. Apparently, it's a bit of protectionism to guard the local market from being swamped with cheap cars from Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos, etc.

It applies to all vehicles built outside the country, as well as vehicles built in Thailand by non-approved companies.

So even a factory-built Westfield or Caterham would be taxed that badly. I can't even afford a factory-built car, so imagine what the 200% tax would do..

Hmmm... I should check out one of the Ferrari dealerships in Bangkok for shits 'n giggles, see hwat those costs with all the ridiculous taxing..

worX

posted on 1/5/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
McLannahan - Don't believe you!!!
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Worx - I saw a signature footer like that once!

iank

posted on 1/5/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Another tack to consider - which will require some rigorous reading of the regulations.

Take one used MX-5 assuming they cost sane money. Or maybe some other rwd donor.

Do some radical conversion work (which you imply is common and legal) which involves taking off all the panels and replacing with a steel structure covered in aluminium with maybe some GRP bits for good measure...

Since it's "just" a modified MX-5 it's already registered and the tax already paid. There is even a book with full plans based on the MX-5 as a donor.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Alez

posted on 2/5/07 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
As Iank says, use a road legal car as your donor and stamp its chassis number on your Locost chassis. That's what I would do if I was in your situation, and I don't think I'd bother reading any regulations.

BTW law is changing quickly here in Spain as well, they are trying to prevent the chinese to sell cars here and so law is getting really hairy

iank

posted on 3/5/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a U2U asking which book has the MX5 as donor.

Here's a copy of my post to another thead a while back, the links still seem to work

---------
For an MX5 Donor look here, this is the website of the US book
http://www.cheapsportscar.net/

You can get it from Amazon uk which is a help
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0760322872/qid=1151608364/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/202-5376100-4243042

If you read the posts here by "Keith Tanner" (the author) it will give you some good ideas. This link should find them automagically.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/misc.php?action=search&srchuname=Keith%20Tanner&searchsubmit=a&srchfid=all&srchfrom=0

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.