Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Won a trip to London!
Asennad

posted on 30/4/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Won a trip to London!

I won a trip to London! (well actually my parents did but they can't go.) Airfare and five nights hotel.

I spent a summer there working for my Uncle about 15 years ago so I have done all the tourist things and don't want to cover old ground. I have been to Buckingham Palace, the Imperial War Museum, National gallery, Tate, etc.

I've only got five days at the end of this month so I am trying to plan out everything carefully before I go.

What would you suggest?

I was thinking of going to Donnington Park to see the F1 collection but it doesn't look very accessible by public transportation.

How about the RAF Museums any good?

Any shows on worth seeing?

How about Locost inspired things to see?

jimbona2

posted on 30/4/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
its a shame your not coming yesterday as it was the gumball 3000 firing off.

there's regents park zoo? not the most exciting thing though.

Jon Ison

posted on 30/4/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Donington as an airport minutes away, you would get a cheap internal return flight, look up.....

Easyjet, Ryanair and BMI too name a few, you may be surprised how cheap you will get a flight for, check out if you can conicided with a testing day, make a good day out.

theconrodkid

posted on 30/4/07 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
RAF hendon museum is wel worth a visit,also the mosquito museum at london colney,donington is well worth the visit as well,just watch out for the locals

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jon Ison

posted on 30/4/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Oi, cheeky.........

just looked for a flight best I could get, random date 14th May was over £100, though tit would be cheaper than that......

Hire a car, easy drive from London too Donington, take it on track..... just don't tell the hire company..........

Daimo_45

posted on 30/4/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you do just get away from London as much as possible. Experience the real England; fresh air, trees, grass, countryside, villages, coast... Not concrete, congestion, pollution!!!
PaulBuz

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just don't forget your polish phrase book.

ATB
Paul

Macbeast

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you haven't been for 15 years you probably haven't been to Tate Modern which is good. Greenwich Observatory is worth it for the Harrison clocks ( first accurate seagoing chronometers) If you hire a car you could go to Heritage Motor Museum at Gaydon, off the London - Oxford Road M40. There may be an event at Brands Hatch and the Brooklands Museum is worth a visit.

Take a "Flight " on the London Eye., (big wheel thing down by the Thames)

Hope you have fun

BenB

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'd second that re Hendon!! Lived 20 minutes away for most of my life. Went there a year or so back- hours of fun!!!

Okay- here's my dream day.....

Go to Hendon in the morning
Go to the Monument in the afternoon (amazing bit of design by Hook (even if Wren nicked most of the credit), lots of stairs, amazing views from the top)
Go on the London eye for a half an hour
Nip over to the Oxo Tower brazzerie for a bit of food with an amazing view over the Thams as the sun sets.....

[Edited on 30/4/07 by BenB]

DIY Si

posted on 30/4/07 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey, tower made of Oxo, amazing what they can do down south these days!
Sorry, feeling a bit childish tonight!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

bob

posted on 30/4/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Brooklands museum in Weybridge.

Just outside the capital and well worth a visit, a few of us could pop down and say hello

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/

Daimo_45

posted on 30/4/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I Live a few miles from Brooklands museum, AMAZING PLACE. First banked race circuit in the world I think and you can actually walk on some of the track. Apart from an amazing car and motorbike museum there is also a CONCORDE and a hanger full of aeroplanes and an old wind tunnel. Next door Mercedes have built a big complex that houses every new Merc which you can sit in/play with. Also got an old SL, Hakkinen's F1 car, Maybach, AMG section and SLR 722. Can also drive Mercs round their track.
Daimo_45

posted on 30/4/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lets all do a Brooklands trip!!!!!!!
Asennad

posted on 1/5/07 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
The RAF Museum Hendon is a must do as is Brooklands – thanks for the tip.

Going to do “The Eye”. (Why do they call it that and not the “Big Ferris Wheel”?)

Will see about the Tate Modern. What and where is the Monument?

How about some Lotus 7 / Locost activities?

Anybody want to show off their car to me and maybe give me a ride? I’ll be staying in central London.

Macbeast

posted on 2/5/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Monument is a bit like the CN Tower, but shorter and built in 17th C to commemorate the Great Fire of London. You climb up inside on a very narrow spiral staircase and there is a viewing balcony at the top.

It's close to St Paul's Cathedral in the City and a mere step from Tate Modern

If you're interested in stationary steam engines you could visit Crossness Pumping station which is downstream from the city, or Kew Pumping station which is at Kew bridge, West London. Both have huge beam engines restored by volunteers. If you're lucky, you might get to see them in steam.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.