Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Longer engine bay
speedyxjs

posted on 11/5/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Longer engine bay

Been out today drawing the plans for the bottom rails on my 8x4.
I measured the engine and realised for a nice fit i need to make the 'engine bay' bigger. I've drawn it out 4 or 5 inches (cant remember which) longer and 6 inches wider at the nose. Im using 0.5mm thicker steel than the book, will this give it enough strength for my engine?

ecosse

posted on 11/5/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you are/were building to book size then it should be fine, as the +4 chassis adds the amount you are thinking about anyway, but if you are already at +4 and are talking about an extra 4 -5" again, and with a heavy motor too, it might be pushing it a bit.
You could add an extra cross tube between f1 j1 and f2 j2 which would help, and maybe plate the full length of the engine mounting tubes (g1 & g2?) as well.
The route for the steering column could be interesting too
The jag engine will need a fair bit of cooling as well, maybe additional side mounted rads could be used?
Just a thought, although I'm maybe looking a bit far ahead for now

Cheers

Alex

JoelP

posted on 11/5/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
with 2mm steel im sure it is possible to make it strong enough, just make sure you triangulate wherever possible - you could also consider upping diameter to 30 or 35mm tube.
rav

posted on 11/5/07 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah and why not panel it in inch thick steel and put cat tracks on it while you're at it
speedyxjs

posted on 11/5/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, should have said. Its the +442 chassis that im adding the extra to. Im using 2mm steel for the 20x20 sections but for the 25x25 sections i went for 2.5mm as when im through sva i am hoping to upgrade the engine to a 4.0 supercharged unit, which will probably be fairly heavy.

[Edited on 11-5-07 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mark chandler

posted on 11/5/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Do not worry about increasing the thickness, but up the size from 1" to 1.5" box at 16swg. This will add far more strength than 2mm 1" box with less weight.

Its triangles that make it ridgid so add more cross bracing.

Will you be to using jag running gear, if so maybe make the whole frame from larger section tube or be strategic and use 1" x 1.5" 16swg, tall side up. this will only add a 20% more weight but significant strength.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 11/5/07 by mark chandler]

speedyxjs

posted on 12/5/07 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandlerWill you be to using jag running gear, if so maybe make the whole frame from larger section tube or be strategic and use 1" x 1.5" 16swg, tall side up. this will only add a 20% more weight but significant strength.

Yes i will be using jag running gear but iv already brought my steel so il have to use more triangulation.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Macbeast

posted on 12/5/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure without working it out but I feel more triangulation will increase stiffness, but not necessarily strength.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.