Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gearbox noises
Scubastu

posted on 13/5/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox noises

On way to Stoneleigh, my gearbox started whining on over-run (5th) I changed to 4th and everything was normal. A little later back in 5th, an expensive grating sound forced me to immediately change back to 4th!
By this time, Stoneleigh was closer than home, so I continued the rest of the way in 4th. When we got to the start / stop traffic entering the showground, I only had 4th gear available. Horrible noises from the rest!
After a good day at the show, and the gearbox oil topped up!, All gears were back to normal.
Gearbox has lost about 1/4 ltr oil (collected in tray) just sitting on drive in a week!

My dilemma is, what is my best route?

Should I try to fix leak and run gearbox as is.
or
Have gearbox reconditioned.
or
Look for replacement.

Gearbox is Renault 18 transaxle (ng3) with adapter plate mated to a 2.0 dohc efi Ford

stevec

posted on 13/5/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
4th gear, is the only gear on a lot of boxes that does not need the lay gear shaft to operate, as it locks straight onto the mainshaft.so I think you may have broken something on the Layshaft assembly.
Steve

[Edited on 13/5/07 by stevec]

Scubastu

posted on 13/5/07 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
But as all gears operated normally on the way back. Just wondering if any lasting damage could've been done?

stevec

posted on 13/5/07 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps check the selector linkage and give it a few miles to see how it goes, but You dont get orrible noises missing gears and grating noises without something being wrong.
Steve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.