Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What turbo supplier?
richard thomas

posted on 20/5/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
What turbo supplier?

Kind of aimed at those with turbo power...

What turbo kit supplier have you used? I ask because I have been looking around at the big boys in this country who all want around £3500 ish for a 'busa turbo kit, but there are a couple of suppliers in the US who do a kit for $3500 ish - basically half price due to the exchange rate!! I was thinking of doing a home grown conversion but at that price....

Admittedly these are for bike applications, not bec but I reckon after losing the bike application specific items like the pipework and race can etc it might work out even cheaper- leaving a bit of fabrication to link it all together....

The kits are for a 6 psi boost giving 270BHP output which does not need internals upgrading or a compression ratio lowering (alledgedly)...should be enough to get on with I reckon?

Anyone heard/got any reports on US suppliers? Motorhead is the one I'm leaning towards...

Minicooper

posted on 20/5/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget the VAT, custom import duty and carriage, I imported something that was $1000, by the time I got my hands on it it was close to a thousand pounds

Cheers
David

richard thomas

posted on 20/5/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, might sway the decision, that...how much is import duty?

dilley

posted on 20/5/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
6psi and 270bhp....good luck.
richard thomas

posted on 20/5/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, sounds a bit optomistic......I've heard that 260 at 8-9psi can be done though...that's from a forum though.

hobbsy

posted on 20/5/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
If you stumble upon any injected R1 turbo kits for similar money let me know. Seems to be loads of Hayabusa stuff out there but not much R1 kit.

I've thought about doing my own but would need to get a fair few bits made as I don't have the equipment (or skills) i.e. manifold and airbox/plenum.

I thought a lot of bike engines responded well to quite low boost figures.

Dilley - what was your blackbird running in the end boost and power wise?

froggy

posted on 20/5/07 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
a book by mike haines is worth a read ,its a bit american but shows a few installations.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 20/5/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
As a general rule with bike turbo engines you get a increase in power of about 10bhp per 1psi of boost,so +60bhp for 6psi,this would then equate to a standard 160bhp R1,with 6psi of boost power would be around the 210/220bhp.
a busa would be around 230/240bhp running the same boost.
Ive imported a velocity kit from the US,they may appear cheap,but add about 35% on for import costs,total lack of support,a 6 month wait to get most of your parts for the kit,some parts I never received,they don't answer your emails,don't return your calls,I would never deal with them again .
check out www.mbcustoms.co.uk,they have been more helpfull than velocity,and I have not even bought anything off them,always willing to give advice,they do a drive in drive out service,give them a ring and have a chat with them if your serious about turbo charging your car.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

hobbsy

posted on 20/5/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,

Apart from all the grief you've had so far how is the build going?

Out of interest what turbo does it use and what boost / power are you aiming for?

Does it use a Powercommander to up the fuelling etc?

Are you lowering the compression?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 20/5/07 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Its not going very well,fuel pressure regulator fault,is causing me big problems,but you feel your on your own,once you have payed velocity your money.
The turbo is a t28r garrett,its a big one,running just 6psi,around 230bhp,it users a power commander and a raising rate fuel regulator for extra fueling,the compression remains stock.

dilley

posted on 21/5/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I am running 14psi of boost on the lowest(driveable)setting, this made 248bhp at the wheels, there was quite a bit of engine work, also mine is carb'd, an injection engine may have slightly more but not that much.

are you quoting engine power or at the wheels power???

bike_power

posted on 21/5/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I would have a chat with Richard at RCC, http://www.rccturbos.com/rcc2005/ as he makes the majority of the kits for Dennis (Motorhead). He races a turbo busa and regularly gets into 7s quarters at 195+mph. I spoke to him a couple of times and he really does know his stuff, pleasant chap.

I would avoid the rising rate regulator and power commander route, TTS suggest this for their supercharger conversions too but I've never heard of one person who said it worked well for them. (And now somebody will pop up and say it works for them )

I'm using an MBE 992 ECU which was designed with the busa in mind but an Emerald or DTA would be just as good and given the cost of the ECU and a few connectors is about the same as a set of new pistons and valves, it's not that expensive.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/5/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Richard, have you had a good chat with Bazzer about your plans yet?

welderman

posted on 21/5/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
As a general rule with bike turbo engines you get a increase in power of about 10bhp per 1psi of boost,so +60bhp for 6psi,this would then equate to a standard 160bhp R1,with 6psi of boost power would be around the 210/220bhp.
a busa would be around 230/240bhp running the same boost.
Ive imported a velocity kit from the US,they may appear cheap,but add about 35% on for import costs,total lack of support,a 6 month wait to get most of your parts for the kit,some parts I never received,they don't answer your emails,don't return your calls,I would never deal with them again .
check out www.mbcustoms.co.uk,they have been more helpfull than velocity,and I have not even bought anything off them,always willing to give advice,they do a drive in drive out service,give them a ring and have a chat with them if your serious about turbo charging your car.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

www.mbcustoms.co.uk
Thats were mine is at the moment, took the 6 hour drive c/w trailer to see Malc, one very nice bloke.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

garage19

posted on 22/5/07 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I will build you a turbo kit. It will be much better value for money than a holeshot jobbie.

Have turbo’ed a few bikes now.

First one was my old 893cc carbed fireblade 5 years ago. There are some photos in my archive. It was cheap, built from scrap yard parts and in the days before I had my workshop / TIG welder. It did go like the clappers though!

The latest one I’ve nearly finished is a mates newish Z1000. Just finished making a nice aluminium plenum for it.

Be wary with some kits. Its not just the fueling you will have to adjust. If they have no means for retarding the ignition then stay away.

I also have all the wide band AFR, det detection kit and ability to map it after building the kit.

locoR1

posted on 22/5/07 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry if my question's a bit of topic but its turbo bec related.

Mines all up and running and fairly well sorted apart from smoking mainly visible on overrun ( jambojeef has a similar problem as well) I hope he doesn't mind me telling you all but we both don't know where to go from here!

Cant speak for Geoff but on mine oil's coming past the exhaust side turbo seal the inlets dry!

So far I've fitted an oil return scavenge pump, turbo rebuild kit and a 1.5mm restricter in the oil feed to the turbo to reduce the oil pressure at the turbo its better than it was initially but still smokes.

Any ideas or suggestions!

Dave.....................

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

chockymonster

posted on 22/5/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
If you stumble upon any injected R1 turbo kits for similar money let me know. Seems to be loads of Hayabusa stuff out there but not much R1 kit.

I've found the same, lots of carbed R1 stuff but no FI ones

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Moorron

posted on 22/5/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
Sorry if my question's a bit of topic but its turbo bec related.

Mines all up and running and fairly well sorted apart from smoking mainly visible on overrun ( jambojeef has a similar problem as well) I hope he doesn't mind me telling you all but we both don't know where to go from here!

Cant speak for Geoff but on mine oil's coming past the exhaust side turbo seal the inlets dry!

So far I've fitted an oil return scavenge pump, turbo rebuild kit and a 1.5mm restricter in the oil feed to the turbo to reduce the oil pressure at the turbo its better than it was initially but still smokes.

Any ideas or suggestions!

Dave.....................

have you got oil pressure in the turbo oil drain pump? i know you and jambojeef dont drain straight into the sump. You cant have ANY oil pressure in the turbo itself as the seals wont hold it and seep into the turbines. Will it do it standing still and just reving the engine? if it does just whack a bucket under the turbo and leave the oil drain pipe off, should b ok for a 20 seconds before you run out of oil. Atleast it will illiminate my theory

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

hobbsy

posted on 22/5/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
LocoR1,

What was the condition of the turbo you used?

No disrespect but AFAIK turbo's aren't the easiest things to rebuild so even though you fitted a new seal kit it could still be a poorly turbo?

locoR1

posted on 22/5/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm fairly sure the drain is ok still smokes the same with or without the scavenge pump,
It only visibly smokes in the mirror on overrun after a hard run nothing at a standstill, but have been told it puffs smoke on gear changes.

Hobbsy I appreciate what your saying, I still have my concerns over it, but I really don't want to spend £350-£400 on a new turbo to find it still smokes!

As for fitting the seal / bearing kit providing you mark thinks up well so not to affect the balancing there really isn't much to them.

Dave..............

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Jubal

posted on 23/5/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garage19
I will build you a turbo kit. It will be much better value for money than a holeshot jobbie.

I reckon there's a ready market if you really could price it right. You should do some sums for the favourite engines and see if you can get a few orders.

garage19

posted on 24/5/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea. But what is the most popular engine?

richard thomas

posted on 24/5/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, been away for a while...

Chris, not spoken to Bazzer yet but intend to...hopefully not planning to spend quite so much

Plenty of food for thought here though...I do prefer the idea of proper engine management as opposed to just playing with the fuel pressure. Has anyone gone from a standard ecu to one compatible with a turbo conversion - what I'm getting at is how much of a pain is it to connect up?

The rest I reckon I can knock up but would prefer a pukka looking plenum

Info on emissions anyone?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.