Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Types of thinners to use
Simon W

posted on 26/5/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Types of thinners to use

I am planning ahead on what type of treatment I am going to give my chassis. I have decided I am going to give it a coat of red oxide primer following by some hardwearing back industrial floor paint. What type of thinners (synthetic, cellulose etc..) should I be using with oxide primer and something like the below?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-Johnstones-Black-Floor-Paint-2-5Ltr_W0QQitemZ230131427849QQihZ013QQcategoryZ57220QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks.

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/5/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Surely arn't you better using the stuff designed for the job? Try this 300082570707

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Simon W

posted on 26/5/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, undecided on the paint at the moment. So what thinners for red oxide primer?
Syd Bridge

posted on 26/5/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I use the cheap cellulose 'gunwash' stuff with the red oxide. But Mark would probably give me a slap on the head for doing it!!

( I also use the same stuff for fuel in the grasstracker. 130 octane or thereabouts )

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Slap on head duely applied

Celly thinners will break down the binder, making the paint less durable, I am fairly sure you should use turpentine, but white spirit should be ok

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Simon W

posted on 26/5/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I am fairly sure you should use turpentine, but white spirit should be ok

What ratio?

Mark Allanson

posted on 27/5/07 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
How thick is the paint you have bought?

If spraying it (use serious HSE equipment, lead is poisonous!), thin it to about 20secs using a viscosity cup, or to the thickness if single cream is using guessosity job!If brushing it, dont dilute at all, thin it by mixing VERY thoroughly, screwfix do a great electric drill twizzy thing for a few pennies

Simon W

posted on 28/5/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
If spraying it (use serious HSE equipment, lead is poisonous!), thin it to about 20secs using a viscosity cup, or to the thickness if single cream is using guessosity job!If brushing it, dont dilute at all, thin it by mixing VERY thoroughly, screwfix do a great electric drill twizzy thing for a few pennies

Are you referring to the red oxide primer containing lead or my chassis paint? I am just going to be using something like the below for respirator:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dual-Cartridge-Chemical-Respirator-Dust-Spray-Mask_W0QQitemZ270124778499QQihZ017QQcategoryZ30923QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If its the primer thats the problem then I will just roller the primer on.

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/5/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Roller the lead, spray the chassis black if you need to, the ebay mask is very marginal, designed for dust and LOW toxic vapour, I would use a gloss roller for it all, you will use about 50% less paint

Simon W

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice Mark, I will give the mini gloss roller a go!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.