Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 3D CAD Help Needed (Rhino)
Asennad

posted on 31/5/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
3D CAD Help Needed (Rhino)

There is a copy of Rhino 3D at my workplace. Nobody seems to know how to use it very well.

I have a very basic understanding of 2D CAD but would like to know how to draw a 3D tube frame chassis using both round and square tubing. What tools do I use?

In Rhino I found that you can draw a line then extrude a tube around those lines. Can't seem to figure out how to create a square tube. Also it starts the tube from the middle which isn’t always that helpful. I'd rather draw the frame using the outside wall instead - I hope that makes sense.

Any ideas? Frame specific tutorials?

tom_loughlin

posted on 31/5/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Rhino is a lot more suitable for complex curve and surface modelling.
It treats 3d models as surfaces, it cannot distinguish a solid...only a group of enclosed surfaces.
If you are really into the idea of modelling 3D, Rhino is probably not the best place to start...I taught myself, but only after experience of using other 3D packages.
Solid works/pro eng is a lot simpler to get to grips with if you're starting from scratch

flak monkey

posted on 31/5/07 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
What Tom said.

Rhino is a surface modeller, not a solid modeller, which makes it quite difficult to use, unless you are designing car bodywork or complex surfaces then its a bit easier.

See your U2U in a minute.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mcerd1

posted on 31/5/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Rhino has a quite good tutorial built in to the help menu - it worked for me
C10CoryM

posted on 3/6/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I like Rhino when you are just playing with different ideas and not looking for exact measurements/angles. It is so fast and easy to use IMO.

To make a tube, draw a square in top view, then draw a line through it in front view. Select the line as the rail, select "sweep one rail" and then select the square as the cross curve. Play with the tutorial, and there are some forums out there too.

And yes, rhino is best for organic shapes..... damned amazing what people can do with it

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.