Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: |Where to put my zetec
Indymike

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
|Where to put my zetec

I'm trying to figure out exactly where to position my 2.0 l blacktop zetec before drilling holes for my engine mounts and other things. What is the best way to go about this. Do I just try to put the bellhousing is far back as possible without hitting the footwell? How much space should i leave in between? Or should I be looking at other points. Does the engine need to be in a straight line from front to back? Does the top of the cam cover need to be level? How high/low can the end of the gearbox (where the drive shaft connects) be inside the transmission tunnel?

As you can tell I don't have much of a clue so please help me out!!

Build manual? What build manual?

mark chandler

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Drag it back as far as possible, block it in place then make the mounts etc to fit.

rgds Mark

David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Usual trick is to fit the bellhousing, then mount the engine so that the back of the bellhousing is ~10mm from the firewall/tunnel chassis members.

Some people have enlarged the opening of the tunnel so that the engine & gearbox can go further back, but I've got big feet and couldn't tolerate the loss of space!

zilspeed

posted on 3/6/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
In the Sylva Star and Leader, an unmodified type 9 gearlever fits right through the standard opening in the tunnel and pushes the engine waayyy back in the car. It almost makes the decision for you.

Whatever, as far back as possible without being completely unmanageable is right IMHO.

Which is sort of tempting me into a zetec for my current one even though I have a complete BEC installation here.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Which is sort of tempting me into a zetec for my current one even though I have a complete BEC installation here.

That's heresy here, isn't it?

zilspeed

posted on 3/6/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
BEC - Soundtrack, revs, gearchange, bonkers pace.

Zetec - brisk enough, I've done it before in this chassis. Fits like a finger in an a**ehole :-)

Reverse gear.............................................

coozer

posted on 3/6/07 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Pull it back as far as possible and move the front of the engine over to the passenger side. That way you offset the engine weight with you sitting on the right rear side.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

lsdweb

posted on 3/6/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Like this !!

Wyn

RoadkillUK

posted on 3/6/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Here's ours, we're changing from X-Flow to Zetec. In comparison, our is much further forward than lsdweb's.

Zetec in 2
Zetec in 2

Zetec in 3
Zetec in 3

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 3/6/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

In comparison, our is much further forward than lsdweb's.

But, in fairness, you've probably got somewhere for your passenger to put his feet!

Wyn

02GF74

posted on 4/6/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
roadkill-uk - did you have to raise the bonnet - bulge or similar -when going to the zetec?
RoadkillUK

posted on 4/6/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
As it is, the engine is very tight in there. the nosecone and bonnet fit on, but only just the nosecone goes just behind the 2 camshaft pulleys and there is about 10mm of clearance.

We are going for bike carbs, so I imagine we're gonna need a big hole in the bonnet

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TangoMan

posted on 6/6/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
One of the key considerations is cooling system.

If you move the engine right back you may need a water rail (an they are not cheap!!) whereas if you go forwards a bit you might be able to keep the standard thermostat housing.

I would personally go as far back as is practical in keeping with the standard set-up and gearstick position.

Summer's here!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.