Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Some design work
Anman

posted on 3/6/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Some design work

Hi,

Between developing my suspension, reading Milliken&Milliken and thinking about suitable donors I couldn't resist putting a design for my mid engined build.
What do you think?

Greetz
Anman Rescued attachment ontwerp.png
Rescued attachment ontwerp.png

novacaine

posted on 3/6/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
looks nice, one problem, would be a huge pain in the arse to make the bodywork for it.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Anman

posted on 3/6/07 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I know. Thing is i started out thinking i needed to keep it simple because i am going to hate doing lots of fibre glass body work. I wanted to design it so it could be reasonably easy made with aluminium. However this is what i ended up with.
Can anyone point out the areas that are going to be a real pain with alu so i can change that. I am really scared of doing the whole body in fibre glass

[Edited on 3/6/07 by Anman]

Ivan

posted on 3/6/07 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nice - just one thing - if it's meant for the street I think you'll find the nose overhang way too long and low.

Don't be scared of doing a GRP body - it's not that difficult, just tedious.

kb58

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
How about compromising? That is, buy a bodyshell already built. The shape you have there is similar to several CANAM-type cars. There's no shame in choosing to save 100s of hours, especially if you fabricate everything that goes under it. This is essentially what I did with my mid-engine Mini - started with the shell and worked my way inward.

[Edited on 6/3/07 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 4/6/07 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
As above ^^^ the easiest way (and the way giving you the best chance of ever completing something so ambitious) is to buy the body.

You don't say which country you're in, but assuming the UK have a look at:

http://www.autotuneuk.com/can-am-m1.html
http://www.gdcars.com/gdt70/gdt70_index.htm

If you have you're heart set on building check out the posts from "Fred W B", "sgraber", "gttman", "suparuss" and "Dick Bear" which will give you an idea on techniques and how much effort it involved.

Bashing that shape into aluminium will need a huge amount of skill and a large english wheel. "Trev D " and "907" are the men to talk to about metal bashing of that magnitude.

Good luck whichever path you choose.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Alan B

posted on 4/6/07 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
......If you have you're heart set on building check out the posts from "Fred W B", "sgraber", "gttman", "suparuss" and "Dick Bear" which will give you an idea on techniques and how much effort it involved...................................
Good luck whichever path you choose.

<Sulk>.......you didn't mention me...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 4/6/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger, there's always one isn't there. Sorry add "Alan B" to ^^^^

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Alan B

posted on 4/6/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
And who says sulking doesn't work?

Cheers Iank

Anman

posted on 4/6/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well, after giving it some more thought i decided to not push it to much for a first serious project. After looking around a Sylva Riot like design is pretty nice and also reasonably easy to manufacture...
gttman

posted on 4/6/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
And who says sulking doesn't work?

Cheers Iank

Well sulked that man.....

BTW were in Florida are you, anywere near Miami?

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Alan B

posted on 4/6/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Near Miami.....?

In US terms..... yes

UK terms...... no

About 150 miles.....just over 2 hours depending on traffic...Straight run right up I-95..

Syd Bridge

posted on 5/6/07 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
150 miles?2 hrs???

When did they lift the speed limit on the pike? Or I95?

I didn't think your little speed weapon would do that sort of speed. Yet!

Cheers,
Syd.

procomp

posted on 5/6/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi if interested i have the set of moulds for the original westfield SS that are no longer requierd. U2U sent.

body moulds brought by procomp. Moulds now FOR SALE.
body moulds brought by procomp. Moulds now FOR SALE.
[/img]

cheers matt

[Edited on 6/6/07 by procomp]

gttman

posted on 8/6/07 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Near Miami.....?

In US terms..... yes

UK terms...... no

About 150 miles.....just over 2 hours depending on traffic...Straight run right up I-95..

shame as I have to be in Miami all next week and I'd have loved to have met up with you.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Alan B

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gttman
quote:
Near Miami.....?

In US terms..... yes

UK terms...... no

shame as I have to be in Miami all next week and I'd have loved to have met up with you.

If you do find some time I'll be available any time. I'll U2U details.

Alan

Anman

posted on 11/8/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, i am thinking about maybe buying a bodyshell. Although this might be slightly more complicated because i live in the netherlands and couldnt find similar companies as the one you suggested.
Because i have no experience with building bodies i was wondering how difficult a body like the on in the picture below would be to make from alu.

tnx Rescued attachment chimerarestored2.jpg
Rescued attachment chimerarestored2.jpg

thomas4age

posted on 11/8/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Anman, (Adnan perhaps?)

That body wouldnt be to hard I think since it's all flat pieces rivited together, still it would require a load of work but would with the right amount of time be doable.... appart from the naca ducts there's no curves in that body that require an english wheel. at least from what I can tell from the piccie.

that thing can maybe be build on a Midtec chassis? speedon carworks have a midtec or 2 in stock (not on website) call with speedon dronten they might be able to let you ake some measurments,
good chassis not very costly and easy to work on.

Grtz thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.