Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto valve sizes with 38mm ITB's
gregs

posted on 9/6/07 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto valve sizes with 38mm ITB's

All,

Planning what to have done to my Pinto head, and I'm stuck with the valves (no pun!), wether to enlarge or not. I will be running GSXR 600 TBs which have a bore of ~38mm, so am struggling to figure out whether I have anything to gain by enlarging the std valves 42.1mm inlet & 36.2mm exhaust? or do I just need to enlarge the exhaust valve?.

I am starting to think a good port and polish, 3-phase valve seats and new guides & bearings will get me as far as I will go with these throttle bodies?

Any advise welcome (other than fit a Zetec, put a bike engine in etc )

Greg

jacko

posted on 9/6/07 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
What amount of power are you trying to get from your engine ? .i used bike carbs, planned the head by 1mm ported & polished and have a 285 piper cam this gives me 175-180bhp -140 at the wheels
+rebore by 60th
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gregs

posted on 9/6/07 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
jacko - if I get above 150 at the fly I will be happy, so reading into what you are saying I don't need to enlarge the valves? (I am also planning on a 285 cam)

Greg

rusty nuts

posted on 9/6/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Not a good idea to polish some Pinto ports IIRC
andyharding

posted on 9/6/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Not a good idea to polish some Pinto ports IIRC

What?

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

rusty nuts

posted on 9/6/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
All you need is a smooth port surface, not polished . Polishing actually reduces power on a Pinto
jacko

posted on 9/6/07 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
All you need is a smooth port surface, not polished . Polishing actually reduces power on a Pinto

That's wright just a Smooth:Surface

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 9/6/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to split hairs - you want a mirror polish on the exhaust ports and a smooth but not polished surface on the inlet ports.

Once the ports have been enlarged and roughly smoothed any gains from further polishing will be minimal.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

bike_power

posted on 9/6/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's not neessarily the size of the valves that need changing, I know almost nill about the Pinto engine but in general the valve seat shape and the area immediately in front of and behind the valve seat will have a far greater effect on power than polishing.

Get a copy of David Vizzard's book about the A series, it's not the same engine but he does demonstrate exactly what does and doesn't work in there and you can relate what he shows to any engine.

rusty nuts

posted on 9/6/07 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
If you want to split hairs - you want a mirror polish on the exhaust ports and a smooth but not polished surface on the inlet ports.

Once the ports have been enlarged and roughly smoothed any gains from further polishing will be minimal.

Some Pinto ports are too large as standard .

gregs

posted on 10/6/07 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the responses guys - the info I am really after I guess is how a 42mm valve (assuming the port shape is optimised) flows compared to the straight tube that is a 38mm throttle body?
bike_power

posted on 10/6/07 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregs
thanks for the responses guys - the info I am really after I guess is how a 42mm valve (assuming the port shape is optimised) flows compared to the straight tube that is a 38mm throttle body?

The size of the valve head is just one part of the picture, the shape that actually allows air into the chamber is a circular curtain that has the same diameter as the valve seat and the height of the max valve lift less the valve clearance. It's more of a curtain shape around the circumfrence of the valve.

The valve is only lifted to max valve lift for part of the intake or exhaust cycle, it spends a lot of time at low-medium lift so the area of the curtain is changing all the time the valve is opening and closing.

It's this area which you need to ensure is able to allow sufficient cylinder filling to meet your power requirement.

The 38mm throttle body is much bigger and better flowing than the 42mm valve curtain area unless you'e got massive valve lift, excellent valve/valve seat//chamber shape and get a lot of cylinder packing.

[Edited on 10/6/07 by bike_power]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.