Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Satnav?
arrybradbury

posted on 12/6/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Which Satnav?

I'm currently favouring the tomtom one GB edition which i can get for £145 because it gives exact 'safety camera' locations rather than the navman f20 that gives area location. What other satnavs are worth considering? I have about £150 to spend. What do people do about the various subscriptions to new road maps/new safety camera locations? Are there any that have free updates and will pay for themselves in a few years if i don't have to pay for updates and decide to spend a bit more now?

Any advice/suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

pdw709

posted on 12/6/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the TomTomONE and its great. I've downloaded the camera locations and it works a treat.

Good product.

Phil

joneh

posted on 12/6/07 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
TomTom for sure.

MOz

posted on 12/6/07 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
How much do TomTom charge for camera subscriptions???? I have a Garmin 310D and have been well happy with that but you won't get one for £150......

MOz

dern

posted on 12/6/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a second hand garmin quest for a hundred quid. It can't do the speed cameras which I'm not that fussed about but it's small enough to put on my bike and is completely waterproof so would be suitable for a locost too.

The only problem with 2nd hand stuff is that you tend to get older maps so check out what you get and how much it costs to upgrade to the new maps.

Regards,

Mark

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 12/6/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I think the TomTom comes loaded with safety scameras? I splashed out a little more and opted for the 510. They are great bits of kit.

JoelP

posted on 12/6/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
tomtom1 had an offer for free camera upgrade a few months ago, but i never bothered - if you cant see a camera you deserve the points IMHO

Must say im a bit dissapointed with the maps on my tom tom - i can understand it not knowing about roadworks in bradford centre, even if they have been there for a year, but theres a road closure in meanwood thats been done for 5 years that it doesnt know about! Im far to lazy to update it though.

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 12/6/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
trouble is camera locations are irrelevant if you cant detect mobile ones, though not detecting them all seems pointless. I've got a Navman Pin 570 PDA sat nav which works a treat, also great for OS maps. If you want camera detection by a Valentine One, thats what I've got, and it detects absolutely everything.
Regards
Matt

JoelP

posted on 12/6/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MattCraneCustoms
If you want camera detection by a Valentine One, thats what I've got, and it detects absolutely everything.
Regards
Matt

is that a type of laser detector? Does it detect hand held speed devices? cheers!

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 12/6/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Valentine one is a detector that detects everything, and is far better than others as it includes a directional indicator, saying where the camera is. Its about the only one that will detect mobile and hand helds. Make sure you get the europe tuned one though, as we have an extra 'k' band that american cameras don't have.
Regards
Matt

Tim 45

posted on 12/6/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
If your willing to spend a little more, hang on a few weeks for the new TomToms 520 and 720, these will have a huge 4"+ touchscreen, fm transmitter for directions through the car stereo and most importantly you will be able to update the maps with modifications when you find them, such as new one way systems etc, and will be able to download other road modifications other users have submitted.

raccoonradar

posted on 12/6/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
tom tom is easy to use & the one is a good size which is important when you have to take it out every time you leave your car, so some scum bag can't have it away ! But the navman N range is well worth a look, you can add a traffic module for less than £70 and have (free life time) traffic updates which will re-route you automatic. Its has more info well, as it gives you the house No's as you drive passed it so you do have keep look for the No's on the doors
JoelP

posted on 12/6/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
tomtom does house numbers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.